A London street directory and UK Pub history research

Search the London street directory and pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Great Warley 1886 Kellys Directory

History of Great Warley

Great Warley (or West Warley, or Warley Abbess) is a parish and village in the Mid division of the county, Chafford hundred, Romford union, Brentwood petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Chafford, archdeaconry of Essex and diocese of St Albans, 6 miles east from Romford, 18 from London and 3 ½ miles south from Brentwood station. The London, Tilbury and Southend Railway Company’s new line from barking to Pitsea passes through the parish. The church of St Peter, restored in 1860, is an edifice of brick principally in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel and nave and a western tower with a low spire containing 1 bell: the east and south windows in the chancel are stained, and on the north side of the chancel is a mural monument with a demi-effigy to Gyles Fleming, gent, ob 18 Oct 1623, and to Gyles Fleming, his son, ob 1633. The register dates from 1539 and is in excellent preservation. There is also a curious list of “Briefs”, dating from 1709 to 1768. The living is a rectory, yearly value from tithe rent-charge £488, with 9 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of St Johns College, Cambridge, and held since 1866 by the Rev Hammond Roberson Bailey MA, late fellow of that college. Christ Church ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1855, out of those portions of Great Warley, Shenfield and South Weald parishes, which are in its immediate neighbourhood. The church is a brick building with stone facings, in the Early English style, and consists of nave, aisles and an embattled tower, with pinnacles in the west end containing 1 bell: the church was enlarged in 1877. The register dates from the year 1855. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £270,  with residence, in the gift of  trustees, and held since 1855 by the Rev Thomas Henry Bunbury BA of Trinity College, Dublin. The Catholic church of the Holy Cross and All Saints, was erected in 1881 at a cost of about £2,500, and is an edifice of Kentish rag in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle and a small turret containing 1 bell. The Rev Thomas Walsh is priest in charge. A cemetery for Christ Church parish was formed in 1860; it has one small mortuary chapel and is under the control of a burial board of 7 members. Here is a pumping station, the water being conveyed hither from Grays, 9 miles distant, for the supply of the town of Brentwood, Hampden House is the residence of Charles Hibbert Binney esq. Warley Place of Frederick Willmot, and Goldings of Evelyn Heseltine esq. Lord Headley, who is lord of the manor, and Richard Benyon esq,  are the principal landowners. The soil is clayey; subsoil loam, with patches of gravel. The chief crops are wheat, beans, barley and peas. The acreage is – arable, 1,339; pasture, 1,017; common (now inclosed), 159; and wood, 209; rateable value, £6,862; the population in 1881 was 1,413, including 82 military in huts etc and 108 in married quarters.

Warley Street is a portion of Great Warley

 

Parish Clerks: St Peter, George P Kemp; Christ Church, William Cudby.

Post, Money Order Office & Telegraph Office & Savings Bank, Warley Common – James Hayes, sub-postmaster. Letters from Brentwood arrive at 6.30 & 11.30 am & 6 pm; dispatched at 10.10 am & 2.30 & 7.15 pm

Post Office, Warley Street – John Crossingham, receiver. Letters arrive by foot post from Brentwood at 7.15 am & 12.30 pm; dispatched at 2 & 6.30 pm & 11.55 am  on Sundays.

Wall Letter Box, Lower Warley school, cleared at 1.30 & 6 pm; Sundays 11.40 am. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at  Warley common.

 

Schools

Christ Church National (Mixed), built for 260 children, average attendance, 240; George Morris, master; Miss Eliza Faircloth, mistress

School, Lower Warley (mixed), built in 1843, for 40 children, enlarged in 1870 for 70; average attendance, 40; Miss Mary Ellen Vivian, mistress

Infants School, Crescent Road, in connection with Christ Church National, built in 1875, for 120 children, average attendance, 110; Miss Harriet Ellen Plumb, mistress

 


And Last updated on: Saturday, 01-Apr-2017 12:54:24 BST