UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name; you will find many obscure early street addresses in London through the Victorian pub history of London and early parish and licensing records on this site. Most records are before 1944 plus some modern detail, and lots of pictures.

Hornchurch 1882 Kellys Directory

 History of Hornchurch

Hornchurch is a village and parish, pleasantly situated on the road from Romford to Upminster and within the liberty of Havering ate Bower, in the southern division of the county, Romford union and county court district, rural deanery of Chafford, archdeaconry of Essex and diocese of St Albans, 2 miles south east from Romford railway station and two from Harold Wood railway station, which is in this parish, and 14 from London, bounded on the east and west by the rivers Ingrebourne and Rom. The church of St Andrew is an ancient building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and porches, with a large western embattled tower with a turret and surmounted by a spire, the whole rising to a height of 170 feet and containing a clock and six bells, all of which were recast 1778: the chancel was restored in 1869, and a stained east window inserted to  Thomas Mashiter esq; the whole church was restored in 1871 at a cost of about £2,000: there are also three other stained windows in the south aisle, a very fine reredos of carved stone and on the west wall a curiously carved marble tablet to Thos Witherings esq, chief postmaster of Great Britain, who died 1651. The register, which is in good condition, dates from the year 1576. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £740, with residence, in the gift of New College, Oxford, and held by the Rev Robert Johnson MA, of St John’s College, Cambridge. An iron church was built by subscription in 1871 at Harold Wood, and serves as a chapel of ease to the parish church. There are several small charities, amounting in all to about £175, which are now in the hands of the charity commissioners. Three almshouses, left by Henry Appleton in 1597, were rebuilt in 1838 and are occupied by old parishioners; two others, left by John Pennant in 1587 were restored by Thomas Mashiter esq, in 1837 and are also tenanted by old parishioners. There are besides ten almshouses founded by Mrs Massus for ten aged poor who have never received parochial relief, each receiving £10 yearly; and a charity founded by Mrs Hyde, for apprenticing two poor boys from Hornchurch and one from Romford yearly. Here are foundries, a manufactory of steam engines and boilers, and agricultural implement works; brick and tile and drain pipe making, brewing, and malting are carried on. A priory of St Nicholas and St Bernard, subordinate to the hospital of Monte Govis, in the diocese of Sedun or Syon, in Savoy, was founded here in the reign of Henry II,  and afterwards had attached to it the house in the Strand in c 1245, by Peter, Earl of Savoy. The revenues of this cell being seized with other priories alien, were purchased by William of Wykeham and by him given to New College. Nelmes, an ancient stone mansion, situated in a park of about 50 acres, on the outskirts of the village, is the residence of the Rev T H Newman, DD. Grey Towers, a castellated Gothic stone mansion, probably of the twelfth century, standing in a park of about 50 acres, at the entrance to the village, is the seat of Henry Holmes, esq: there is a finely decorated entrance hall of the above period; the hall and staircase of black and white marble, with a ceiling of carved oak, with a good stained window on the landing at the top of the staircase. Langtons, a brick mansion standing in a small park, is the residence of John Wagener esq. Hornchurch Lodge, a brick mansion standing in a park of about 30 acres, and containing handsome pleasure grounds, adjoins the high road, and is the residence of Edward Thomas Helme esq. Fair Kytes, a modern brick house, situated in the village, is the residence of Joseph Fry, esq JP. The Hall is a fine brick mansion near the village and is the residence of Brooks Gooch esq. Here is a Drill Hall, erected by public subscription, at a cost of about £400, for the use of Volunteers of Hornchurch. There are two corps of volunteers, the H company of the 1st Essex Rifle Volunteers, who muster an enrolled strength of 80; captain, H P Fry; and a battery of the 1st Essex Artillery Volunteers, 69 strong; capt Henry Holmes. Mrs McIntosh, is a lady of the liberty, but most of the land belongs to New College, Oxford. The soil is of a light nature; subsoil, gravel. The area is 6,799 acres of arable, grass and marsh lands; rateable value, £20,460; in 1871 the population was 2,476 and in 1881 2,824.

Havering Well, 1 mile west of the village, is a hamlet of Hornchurch

 

Sexton, Joseph Lazell

Post, Money Order & Telegraph Office & Savings Bank – Henry Ainsworth, postmaster. Letters arrive from Romford at 5.30 and 11 am; dispatched at 3.20 & 6.20 pm; delivery commences at 7 am.

Insurance agents: –

 County Fire, W Idiens

 Liverpool & London & Globe, F A Stratford

Schools:-

 National (mixed), built in 1853 for 400 children, with an average attendance of 300;  Fredk Jenvey, master; Mrs Emily Jenvey, mistress; Miss Charlotte Baker, infants mistress

Railway Station, Harold Wood, Fredk Flegg, station master

Carrier to London – Robert Goodrum, from his own house, on tues, thurs & sat, returning same days

Carrier to Romford – William George Patience, twice a day from his house, the Bridge Inn


And Last updated on: Thursday, 02-Mar-2017 21:29:18 GMT