UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name; you will find many obscure early street addresses in London through the Victorian pub history of London and early parish and licensing records on this site. Most records are before 1944 plus some modern detail, and lots of pictures.

Hornchurch 1886 Kellys Directory

 History of Hornchurch

Hornchurch is a village and parish with a station on the new branch of the London, Tilbury and Southend railway, pleasantly situated on the road from Romford to Upminster and within the liberty of Havering ate Bower, in the southern division of the county, Havering ate Bower petty sessional division, Romford union and county court district, 2 miles south east from Romford railway station and two south west  from Harold Wood railway station, which is in the parish, and 14 from London, bounded on the east and west by the rivers Ingrebourne and Rom and lit with gas supplied from Romford. The church of St Andrew is an ancient building of stone in the Early Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, with clerestory, aisles, north porch and a large embattled western tower with a turret and spire, the whole rising to a height of 170 feet and containing a clock and six bells, all of which were recast in 1778: the chancel was restored in 1869, and a stained east window inserted to  Thomas Mashiter esq; the whole church was restored in 1871 at a cost of about £2,000: there are three other stained windows in the south aisle, a very fine reredos of carved stone, piscine and sedilia and on the west wall a curiously carved marble tablet to Thomas Witherings esq, chief postmaster of Great Britain, who died 1651. The register, which is in good condition, dates from the year 1576. The living is nominally a vicarage, but is rather in the nature of a chaplaincy, exempt from ecclesiastical jurisdiction, gross yearly value £740, with residence, in the gift of the warden and fellows of New College, Oxford, who grant the vicar what is termed “a lease”,  and held since 1878, by the Rev Robert Johnson MA, of St John’s College, Cambridge. The Baptist chapel, opened September 21, 1882, is an edifice of brick with stone dressings and occupies a site given by Mr J A Abraham, of Upminster, who also laid the foundation stone; it was erected at a cost of £840, of which the Rev C H Spurgeon gave £100: it will seat 220 persons. There are several small charities, amounting in all to about £175, and now in the hands of the charity commissioners. Three almshouses, left by Henry Appleton in 1597, were rebuilt in 1838 and are occupied by old parishioners. Two others, left by John Pennant in 1587 were restored by Thomas Mashiter esq, in 1837 and are also tenanted by old parishioners. There is a charity by Mrs Massus for ten aged poor who have never received parochial relief, each receiving £6 2s yearly; and another charity founded by Mrs Hyde, for apprenticing two poor boys from Hornchurch and one from Romford yearly. Here is a manufactory for agricultural implements; there are also brick, tile and drain pipe works and brewing and malting are also carried on. A priory dedicated to St Nicholas and St Bernard, subordinate to the hospital of Monte Jovis, in the diocese of Sedun or Syon, in Savoy, was founded here in the reign of Henry II, and afterwards had attached to it, c 1245, by Peter, Earl of Savoy,  the Savoy Palace in the Strand, London. The revenues of this cell being seized with other priories alien, were purchased by William of Wykeham and by him given to New College. Nelmes, an ancient stone mansion, situated in a park of about 50 acres, on the outskirts of the village, is the residence of the Benjamin Harding Newman, Grey Towers, a castellated mansion, in the style of the twelfth century and standing in a park of about 50 acres at the entrance to the village, is the seat of Henry Holmes, esq: there is a finely decorated entrance hall  and staircase of black and white marble, with a ceiling of carved oak, and a good stained window on the landing at the top of the staircase. Langtons, a brick mansion standing in a small park, is the residence of Mrs Wagener. Hornchurch Lodge, a brick mansion standing in a park of about 30 acres, and containing handsome pleasure grounds, adjoins the high road, and is the residence of Edward Thomas Helme esq. Fairkytes, a modern brick house, situated in the village, is the residence of Joseph Fry, esq JP, high steward of the liberty of Havering. Here is a Drill Hall, erected by public subscription, at a cost of about £400, for the use of Volunteers of Hornchurch; there are two corps, the H company of the 1st Volunteer Battalion of the Essex Regiment, who muster an enrolled strength of 100; captain, R H Lyon; and a battery of the 1st Essex Artillery Volunteers, 69 strong; capt Henry Holmes. Mrs McIntosh, of Havering Park, is lady of the liberty. The soil is of a light nature; subsoil, gravel. The area is 6,767 acres of arable, grass and marsh lands and 155 water; rateable value, £21,133; the population in 1881 2,824.

Harold Wood is a village, 3 miles north and has a station on the Great Eastern railway. Here is an iron church, built in 1871 and seating 300 persons. There is also a factory making fireworks.

Hardley Green is a hamlet 1 ½ miles north.

Havering Well is a hamlet 1 mile west and ½ a mile south of Romford

Southend is a hamlet 3 miles south, extending to the banks of the River Thames and adjoining Rainham station: here are chemical and cement works.

Sexton, Joseph Lazell

Post, Money Order & Telegraph Office & Savings Bank – Thomas Henry Wilson, postmaster. Letters arrive from Romford at 5.30 and 11 am; dispatched at 3.20 & 6.20 pm; delivery commences at 7 am.

Post & Money Order Office & Savings Bank, Harold Wood – Henry J Gould, receiver. Letters arrive via Romford at 9 & 11.45 am & are dispatched at 11.45 am & 5.15 pm. Romford is the nearest telegraph office.

Southend letters are received through Rainham

 

Schools:-

 National, Hornchurch (mixed), built in 1853 for 400 children, with an average attendance of 300;  Fredk Jenvey, master; Mrs Emily Jenvey, mistress; Miss Charlotte Baker, infants mistress

National (Harold Wood), built at Christmas, 1885, at a cost of £560, for 80 children, average attendance, 30; Mrs Mary Alice Levern, mistress

Wood Lane (infants), built in 1864, for 60 children, average attendance, 47; Miss Sarah Margaret Wedon, mistress

 

Railway Stations :-

 Harold Wood, Fredk Flegg, station master

Hornchurch, Charles Boyle, station master

Carrier to London – Robert Goodrum, on tues, thurs & sat, returning same days

Carrier to Romford – William George Patience, on sats

 


And Last updated on: Thursday, 02-Mar-2017 21:31:56 GMT