A London street directory and UK Pub history research

Search the London street directory and pub history site by surname, address or pub name

HORNCHURCH, UPMINSTER AND CORBETS TAY.

Pigot's Essex 1832-3 Trade Directory

HORNCHURCH is a village and parish, in the liberty of Havering-atte-Bower; 14 miles from London, two from Romford, and situated about four miles and a half from the river Thames. It is a place unimportant to the commercial traveller, and to the curious stranger it possesses but little worth his detention.

The church is a venerable pile, with a handsome spire, about 170 feet in height, and from its elevated site may be seen at a very great distance. At the chancel end of the church is a piece of carved work of a bullock's head, the horns of which are gilt : the appearance of this figure is attempted to be accounted for by the custom, arising out of a charter granted by Henry II, which takes place every Christmas day, of wrestling for a boar's head; but why the head of the latter animal has obtained a preference over the former is not explained. The living is a vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. George Stacey. The parish of Hornchurch is rather extensive, containing about 6,500 acres of land, and a population, by the official returns for 1831, of 2,186 inhabitants; being an increase, in 30 years, of 855 persons.


And Last updated on: Saturday, 01-Apr-2017 12:51:31 BST