Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
BIRLING is a village, two miles N.E. of Malling, and seven miles N.W. of Maidstone, in the hundred of Larkfield, and union of West Malling. The population in 1851 was 545. The church of All Saints is an ancient Gothic structure; the Rev. Henry Phelps, M.A., is the incumbent.
POST-OFFICE - Robert Spink, Receiver. Letters arrive from Maidstone, which is
also the nearest Money Order Office.
Abergavenny, Right Hon. and Rev.
Phelps, Rev. Henry Dampier
Selby, John, Esq., Birling Place
Capon, Frederick, Bull Inn, and farmer
Collis, John, farmer and surveyor
Collis, Thomas T., farmer
Crowhurst, Mrs. Mary, shoemaker,
Curtis, Daniel, wheelwright
Freeman, Thomas, farmer
Gower, Ambrose, Freemason's Arms
Gower, William, farmer
Homewood, George, farmer
Knell, John, farmer
Newman, Richard, blacksmith
Spink, Robert, grocer and postmaster
Stephen, Thomas, farmer
Whiting, Armigail, farmer