Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
BRIDGE is a large village three miles south of Canterbury, with a population,
in 1851, of 804. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. The living
is a perpetual curacy. The Rev. John Stevenson, M.A., is the incumbent.
The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Pethouse is half a mile west;
Renwell, one mile N.W.
POST-OFFICE - Richard Sherrard, Receiver. The nearest Money Order Office
is at Canterbury
Boyack, Captain Alexander, R.N.
Edlin, Mrs., Riverside House .
Freer, Mr. Thomas
Jarvis, Henry, Esq.
Jarvis, Richard, Esq
Pittock, Thomas, Esq.
Pratt, Lieutenant David
Public Houses in Bridge
|Banks, John, linen draper
Bax, Henry, grocer
Barter, John, butcher
Bryack, Mrs. Deborah, boarding school
Colegate, Frederick, builder, wheelwright, and undertaker
Collard, Thomas, tailor
Collins, Edwin, farmer, Petthouse
Davis, Charles, grocer
Drake, William, master of union
Dutnall, William, brickmaker
Eyers, Joseph, Red Lion, and licensed to let horses and carriages
Fagg, Thomas, blacksmith
Finch, William, boot and shoe maker
Forth, William, clerk to the union
Fryer, George, Secretary to Bridge Friendly Society
Hardiman, William, watchmaker
Hodges, Charles, butcher
Huxster, Gilbert, miller
Huxster, Mercer, farmer
|Kelsey, George, farmer
Laker, Misses, boarding school
Lawrance, Job, grocer and bricklayer
May, Charles, greengrocer
Marsh, James, farmer
Martin, John, saddler
Sayer, William, plumber, glazier, & broker
Sherrard, Richard, White Horse, and postmaster
Sicard, Aurelius, surgeon
Steed, John, grocer
Thomas, James, chemist
Verrier, William C., plumber, glazier, and painter
White, Thomas, bootmaker
Williams, Daniel, greengrocer
Williams, William, Plough and Harrow, brewer
Wills, Richard, baker