UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name; you will find many obscure early street addresses in London through the Victorian pub history of London and early parish and licensing records on this site. Most records are before 1944 plus some modern detail, and lots of pictures.

Cliffe Public Houses

Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z

Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.

CLIFFE is a parish and village, six miles north of Rochester, eight miles east of Gravesend, and three miles from Higham station. The population in 1851 was 877. The church of St. Helen is a handsome edifice. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury; the Rev. Edward H. Lee, B.A. is the incumbent.
Marshgate and Rye street are half a mile east; West street and Darnley, a quarter of a mile west.


POST-OFFICE - Charles Chesterton, Receiver. Letters arrive through Rochester, which is also the nearest Money Order Office.

GENTRY.
Lee, Rev. Edward H., B.A., Rectory | Mullins, Mr., Prentis, Lodge

TRADERS.

Barnes, William, farmer
Brown, George, bricklayer
Chesterton, Charles, grocer and draper,
Read, John, shopkeeper and post-office
Richards, Mrs. Ann, farmer
Elford, William, butcher and baker
Seamark, William, beer retailer
Elford, Mrs. Caroline, baker
Simmons, John, beer retailer
Germain, Joseph H., Anchor and Hope
Steele, James, farmer
Gourd, Mrs. Mary, Bull
Stevenson, George, saddle and harness
Knight, Charles, farmer maker
Knight, Thomas, farmer
Stronghill, Nathaniel, farmer
Lane, Samuel, boot and shoe maker
Topley, William John, Six Bells
Murton, Albert, farmer
Woods, George, farmer
Osmotherly, John, builder
Plowright, William, blacksmith


And Last updated on: Sunday, 17-May-2015 13:24:58 BST