UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name; you will find many obscure early street addresses in London through the Victorian pub history of London and early parish and licensing records on this site. Most records are before 1944 plus some modern detail, and lots of pictures.

Denton next Wootton , Dover, Thanet with Dover

Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z

Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.


DENTON is a parish seven miles north of Folkestone, and eight miles N.W. of Dover, in Dover union, lathe of St. Augustine, East Kent. The population in 1851 was 197. The church is dedicated to Mary Magdalene. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, and patronage and incumbency of the Rev, George C. Lamotte, M.A. Denton Court is the seat of C. P. Cooper, Esq., Q.C. Shelven is half a mile west; Tappen and Gatridge half a mile south; Selstead and Maypole one mile south; Gore
Hill one mile S.W., Yeding one mile east.

POST-OFFICE. - Charles Page, Receiver. The nearest Money Order Offices are at
Folkestone and Dover.


GENTRY.
Cooper, Charles Purton, Esq., one of her Majesty's Council, LL.D., Provincial Grand
Master of the Freemasons of Kent, Denton Court
Lamotte, Rev. George C., M.A., Rector
Montressor, Captain, Denne hill


TRADERS.
Austen, George, farmer
Baker, John, tailor
Bishop, John, farmer
Cheeseman, William, shopkeeper
Colyer, George, farmer
Page, Charles, bootmaker, and post master
Pledge, Thomas, farmer
Quested, Matthew, carpenter
Seath, Francis, Red Lion
Wanstel, George, baker
Webb, Charles, bricklayer


And Last updated on: Sunday, 17-May-2015 13:57:28 BST