UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

East Langdon, Dover, Thanet with Dover

Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z

Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.

EAST and WEST LANGDON. These two villages are about a mile from each other. West Langdon had a population in 1851 of 140 inhabitants. East Langdon is three miles and a half north of Dover. The village is small. The church is dedicated to St. Augustine. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Earl of Guilford, and incumbency of the Rev. William Dugdale Astley, M.A., The population of East Langdon was 352. West Langdon is four miles north of Dover. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury. The Rev. Edward G. Boys, M.A., is the incumbent. Marten is half a mile north; Appleton, one mile north; Solton, one mile south; Maiden Soule, ,one mile and a half N.W. Letters through Dover, which is also the nearest Money Order Office.

GENTRY.
Astley, Rev. William Dugdale, Rector | Hambrook, Mr. George, Marten

TRADERS.

Ash, Thomas, shoemaker
Baker, Lawrence, farmer
Finnis, Thomas, carpenter
Finnis, Henry, blacksmith
Hammond, William, shopkeeper and beer house
Hambrook, Nethersole, blacksmith
Hines, Sophia, shopkeeper
Jeken, James, farmer, Marten
Knott, Miss Ann, schoolmistress
Prebble, John, farmer
Richards, Thomas, farmer
Rogers, Stephen, carpenter
Sandford, Mark, farmer
Smith, James P, farmer
Stanger, John, miller, Marten
Taylor, Benjamin, farmer
Yonden, Anne, Four Bells


And Last updated on: Sunday, 17-May-2015 14:14:27 BST