Many accurate 1921 census transcriptions have already been added to the pub history site, including London, and parts of Middlesex.

Duke of York, 7 Lewisham Road, Greenwich

Greenwich Index

The address in the 1851 and the 1864 license transfers is at Duke of York, Limekilns. At 4 Lewisham Lower Road in 1881 and earlier. Closed by the Compensation Authority in 1908.

The former Duke Of York, Lewisham Road at the corner of Friendly Place, in 2017. The building is currently in use as a dental surgery.

The former Duke Of York, Lewisham Road at the corner of Friendly Place, in 2017. The building is currently in use as a dental surgery.

Kindly provided by Vincent O'loughlin

A listing of historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Greenwich, London.

The following entries are in this format:

1823-24/H Baillie, Duke of York, Limekiln lane/../../Pigots Directory

1826/Hugh Beadle/../../../Pigot's Directory

1836/Thomas Steward, Duke of York, Lewisham lane/../../Pigots Directory

February 1848/Sarah Canfor/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era

February 1848/William Barr/Incoming Licensee/../../Era

May 1848/William Barr/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era

May 1848/John Howes/Incoming Licensee/../../Era

May 1851/John Howes/Outgoing Licensee/../../West Kent Guardian

May 1851/William Cragg/Incoming Licensee/../../West Kent Guardian

1852/John Parker/../../../Archdeacons Directory

March 1857/George William Edwards/Outgoing Licensee/../../West Kent Guardian

March 1857/Alfred Hervey/Incoming Licensee/../../West Kent Guardian

1858/James Burton Cross/../../../Melvilles Directory

1862/W Churchman/../../../Post Office Directory

June 1864/William Churchman/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era

June 1864/Henry Coleman/Incoming Licensee/../../Era

1867/H Coleman/../../../Post Office Directory

1867/Mr Henry Coleman/../../../LV Association

1871/William Purchase/Licensed Victualler/29/Chard, Somerset/Census
1871/Eliza Purchase/Wife/31/Kilburn, Middlesex/Census
1871/Alice Purchase/Daughter/4/Kilburn, Middlesex/Census
1871/William Purchase/Son/2/Greenwich, Kent/Census
1871/Martha Claydon/Visitor/33/Kilburn, Middlesex/Census
1871/Richard Cowling/Boarder/48/Greenwich, Kent/Census
1871/Samuel Westgate/Potman/13/Greenwich, Kent/Census

January 1872/William Purchase/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era

January 1872/Daniel Phillips/Incoming Licensee/../../Era

1874/Thomas Yates/../../../Post Office Directory

1881/Robert William Sprules/Licensed Victualler/59/Greenwich, Kent/Census
1881/Elizabeth Sprules/Wife/59/Greenwich, Kent/Census
1881/Alice Levett/Visitor, Dressmaker/16/Woolwich, Kent/Census
1881/Agnes Inwood/General Servant/14/Rotherhithe, Surrey/Census

Greenwich and Deptford Observer 14 January 1882 - Transfer of Licences :
Duke of York from Robert William Sprules to John Bell

1882/J Bell/../../../Post Office Directory

1891/Charles E Sander/Publican/41/Birmingham/Census
1891/Emma Sander/Wife/38/Woolwich, Kent/Census
1891/Louisa Sander/Daughter/17/Camberwell, Surrey/Census
1891/Sarah Sloman/Visitor, Publican/42/Woolwich, Kent/Census

1896/John S Baker/../../../Post Office Directory

1904/Frederick Charles Edwards/../../../Post Office Directory

1905/Frederick Charles Edwards/../../../Post Office Directory

1908/John Jane/../../../Post Office Directory

London Evening Standard 12 June 1907 - List of premises to be considered by the Compensation Authority :
Duke of York, Lime Kilns (now Lewisham road), Greenwich, Full, John Jane

Morning Post 28 January 1908
Extinguished London Licences.
The Compensation authority for London awarded £108,653 for the extinction of 38 public house licences in the Blackheath, Finsbury, Hanover square, Holborn and Newington divisions. The wards were as follows :
Duke of York, Lewisham road, Greenwich £2167

And Last updated on: Tuesday, 12-Apr-2022 15:22:13 BST