Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
HOATH is a village three miles N.E. from Sturry station, four south from Herne Bay, and six N.E. from Canterbury. The population in 1851 was 359. The church of the Virgin and St. Mary is a neat structure. The Rev. George William David Evans, M.A. is the incumbent. The living is an vicarage, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury. Hoathborough is half a mile N.E.; Rushborough half a mile S.W,; Buckwell, one mile S.W.; Shelmin, half a mile N.E.
Letters received through Canterbury, which is also the nearest Money Order Office,
Evans, Rev. George W. David, Vicar.
Public Houses in Hoath
Collard, Lacey, farmer, Oldtree
Collard, Robert, farmer, Maypole street
Darby, Richard, tail or, parish clerk
Goldfinch, Robert, blacksmith
Groombridge, George, Admiral Rodney
Kingsland, David, miller
Larkens, Richard, blacksmith
Morris, Joseph, shoemaker
Pembrook, Mrs. John Gilbert, farmer
Rammall, John, farmer
Saunders, Charles, baker
Sladden, James, farmer
Smith, Joseph, carpenter
Smith, William, shoemaker
Smith, William, grocer
Wacher, Thomas, farmer