Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
ICKHAM is a large village five miles east from Canterbury, and a quarter of a mile from Wickham Breaux. The church of St. John the Evangelist is a handsome building. The living is a rectory, with the curacy of Well annexed, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and incumbency of the Rev. John Adolphus Wright, M.A. The population in 1851 was 686.
Letters received through Canterbury, which is also the nearest Money Order Office.
Bing, Thomas, Esq.
Gipps, George, Esq., the Howletts
Hilton, Stephen M., Esq.
Holmes, Rev. J. R.
Swain, Captain, Lee Priory
Wright, Rev. John Adolphus
Beaney, Thomas, market gardener
Collard, Henry, farmer
Coombs, William, baker
Coombs, John, shopkeeper
Cooper, John, farmer
Cornwall, William, farmer
Davis, Robert, Duke William, carpenter and blacksmith
Hall, Henry, butcher
Holdstock, William, farmer
Kingsford, R. C., miller and coal merchant
Laslett, John, corn factor
Masters, Thomas, butcher
Minter, Daniel, shoemaker
Minter, George, farmer
Slater, Thomas, corn and hop factor
Solly, James, farmer
Southee, John, miller
Tunbridge, James, market gardener