A London street directory and UK Pub history research

Search the London street directory and pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Isle of Grain, Hoo, Medway

Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z

Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.


THE ISLE OF GRAIN is a completely isolated spot, between the Medway and Yantlett Creek. The church formerly belonged to the nunnery at Minster, in the Isle of Sheppey; it is dedicated to St. James; it stands alone, in a dreary spot. The Rev. George Davies, of Rochester, is the patron and vicar. Letters are conveyed by the Strood carrier at an extra charge of 1d. for each letter. The Isle of Grain is 13 miles from Strood, and three miles from the nearest parish. The population in 1851 was 260.

TRADERS.
Dickens, John, farmer
Everist, Richard, farmer
Fry, Jonathan, shopkeeper and carrier
Sellis, Samuel, Cock
Smith, Mrs. Ann, farmer


And Last updated on: Sunday, 17-May-2015 16:47:45 BST