Pub history and historical street directories

This is now an updated and complete, historical London street directory for 1832 and 1842 and more

Search for a pub, an address or person

Lewisham, Lewisham

Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z & Archdeacons 1852 directory

Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.

LEWISHAM, a suburb of London, in the union of its name, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, and Blackheath hundred, West Kent; distant four miles and a half from London, and one mile from Greenwich. The population, which includes Sydenham, in 1851 was 15,064. St. Mary's church was rebuilt in 1774; it is a handsome structure, with tower and yery beautiful portico, which is generally admired, There is an episcopal chapel; also places of worship for the various denominations of dissenters. Rushey Green and Cockshed are hamlets, one mile south; Perry Hill and Perry Slough, two miles south. South End is a large hamlet belonging to Lewisham, four miles south, and two miles from Sydenham railway station.

POST-OFFICES - Receiving House (north), Edward Clift, Lee Bridge. Receiving
House (south), Robert Patch. Receiving House (South End), Ann Pledger

PLACES OF WORSHIP

St. Mary's Church.- Hon. and Rev. Henry Legge, Vicar.
Episcopal Chape], South End. - Rev. R. S. Forster, Minister.
Wesleyan Chapel, Avenue road.
Independent Chapel, Cross street.
Union Chapel, the Village.
Baptist Chapel, Hurst Buildings.

Gentry in 1858

Public Houses in Lewisham

Traders in 1858 Melvilles Directory

Search for a pub, an address or person

And Last updated on: Thursday, 21-Apr-2016 21:44:27 BST