Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
LEYBOURNE is a parish and village, six miles east from Maidstone. The population in 1851 was 268. The church is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. The living is a rectory, and the Rev. Henry Hawley, M.A., is the incumbent. Great and Little Comp are hamlets of Leybourne, two miles west of Malling, containing 54 inhabitants; Hammill is one mile and a half north; Hern Street, two miles north..
Letters are received through Maidstone. The nearest Money Order Office is at Malling.
Hawley, Sir Joseph H., Bart., the Grange | Hawley, Rev. Henry, M.A., Rectory
Brooks, William, saddler
Diploek, Samuel, farmer, Comp Farm
Whitby, John, miller
Wood, Charles, Wheatsheaf