UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name; you will find many obscure early street addresses in London through the Victorian pub history of London and early parish and licensing records on this site. Most records are before 1944 plus some modern detail, and lots of pictures.

Linton, Maidstone, Maidstone

Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z

Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.

LINTON is a village, pleasantly situated on an elevated point, four miles south of Maidstone. The population in 1851 was 1,082. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas, and is a neat edifice. The living is a vicarage; the Rev. Thomas King is the incumbent. The Maidstone union workhouse is in this parish, and will hold 500 inmates. Clock House is half a mile N.W.; Snode's Hole, one mile west.

POST-OFFICE - Henry lchin, Receiver. Letters arrive through Staplehurst. Money Orders are granted and paid at this office.

Public Houses in Linton

GENTRY.

Cornwallis, Lady Julia, Linton place
Edmeades, the Misses
Horne, Henry, Esq.
King, Rev. Thomas, M.A., Vicarage

TRADERS.

Alchin, Henry, grocer and postmaster
Alchin, William, farmer
Allsop, John, farmer
Ballard, Robert, bootmaker
Butcher, William, farmer
Coppin, John, farmer
Coppin, John, jun., beer retailer
Dann, George, butcher
Eversfleld, Edward, assessor of taxes
Fisher, Mrs. Mary, farmer
Goad, John, Bull
Inge, John, farmer
Pawley, William, farmer
Phillpott, Richard, farmer
Phillpott, Thomas, farmer
Russell, Edward, farmer
Sedgewick, Thomas, farmer
Thomas, Henry, beer retailer
Thompson, John, wheelwright
Thornycraft, John, blacksmith
Tompsett, Benjamin, grocer
Ware, William, farmer


And Last updated on: Sunday, 17-May-2015 17:18:31 BST