Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
MONKS HORTON, a parish three miles N.E. from Smeeth station, and seven miles from Ashford, is in the hundred of Stouting, union of Elham, lathe of Shepway, East Kent. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of Brabourne, is in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury : the Rev. James Brothers, B.A., is the incumbent. The population in 1851 was 183.
Letters are received through Hythe, which is also the nearest Money Order Office.
Bradley, Thomas, shoemaker
Brenchley, James, blacksmith
Edwards, Edward, farmer
Foreman, William, farmer
Hammon, Charles, farmer
Singleton, William, grazier
Smead, William, farmer
Spain, Henry, linen manufacturer, twine spinner, and grazier
Tassell, John, farmer and grazier
Pribble, Philip, farmer and grazier