Many accurate 1921 census transcriptions have already been added to the pub history site, including London, and parts of Middlesex. If you can contribute to the site, send me some details to Kevan, along with some description of the specific property.
Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
Gentry in 1858
Public Houses in Rochester
Traders in 1858
A - D ; E - P ; R - Y
ROCHESTER is a city, consisting of the city of Rochester proper, the borough of
Chatham, and the towns of Brompton, Gillingham, Strood, and Frinsbury; Brompton
being in the borough of Chatham, and Strood in the city of Rochester. The
population altogether in 1851 was 43,362, which includes the hospitals and
barracks. Rochester, as its name implies, was an ancient British town. The
Romans had here an
important station, which they called Durobrovae, but being conquered by the English, they gave it its present name. The city is straggling, and extending considerably on the shore of the river, In consequence of the railway, great improvements have taken place in Rochester. The old bridge is being destroyed, and a handsome new bridge has been erected over the river. The Cathedral is considered one of the most ancient in the kingdom; it was founded in 604, and consists of a nave, aisles, choir, and two transepts. The building forms a double cross. A tower was erected in 1825, at the intersection of the transepts. Gundulph's tower is on the north side of the choir, and there are two small towers at the west end. The style of architecture is
chiefly Norman. In 1840, the interior was repaired and re-decorated. There are several very ancient tombs and monuments. St, Margaret's church was rebuilt in 1824, and contains some old monuments and a stone font. St Nicholas church was erected in 1624. There were also two other parishes, St Mary's and St Clement's;
but there are now no traces left of the churches. The town hall, gaol, gas works, grammar school, and theatre, are the principal public buildings.
Day and Nicholson, High street. - Draw on Glyn and Go.
London and County Bank, High street. - G. E. Gates, Esq., Manager. Draw on London establishment.
Saving's Bank, St. Margaret's. Bank open on Saturdays and Mondays.
PUBLIC BUILDINGS, INSTITUTIONS, etc
Post-Office, High street. - Edward Finch, Postmaster. Day Mail hox closes 12.15 noon; Night Mail closes 10 p.m. Two deliveries, 7 a.m. and 2 p.m.
County Court Office, High street. - Court held at Guildhall. James Espinasse, Esq., Judge; G. Ackworth, Esq., Registrar; Mr. C. Dorrett, High Bailiff.
Fort Pitt Military Hospital. - Alexander Cumming, Esq., Deputy Inspector General of Hospitals; Duncan Menzies, Esq., Staff-surgeon.
Fort Clarence Military Hospital, Maidstone road. - Captain Robert Manners, Governor.
Gas Office and Works, High street. - Thomas Dewsberry, Manager.
Custom House. - W. H. Redpath, Esq., Collector; D. Gay, Esq., Comptroller; J. T. Boucher, First Collector; C. Caddie, Distributor of Stamps.
MAYOR - W. Manclark, Esq. RECORDER. - J. Espinasse, Esq.
F. Furrell, Esq., Ex-Mayor
G. Essell, Esq.
J. Nightingale, Esq.
C. G. Burton, Esq.
R. Winch, Esq.
S. Sidden, Esq.
G. H. Drawbridge, Esq.
S. Steele, Esq.
J. Foord, Esq.
J. L. Levy, Esq,
E. R. Coles, Esq,
R. Prall, Esq., clerk. Sittings, Tuesdays and Saturdays, at 12 o'clock.
Lewis, J., Esq., town clerk
Hayward, W. W., Esq., clerk of the peace
Lewis, J., Esq., coroner
Sidden, T., Esq., treasurer
Dalton, Mr. W., collector of Anchorage
and City Dues; Stroud,Mr. J., at Sheerness
Bullard, Mr. J., principal water bailiff
Viney, Mr. G. M., principal sergeant at mace
Chambers, R. A., and Rimington, W. 0., mace bearers
Colyer, W., sen., crier
Dorrett, C., and Skiller, W. D., collectors of borough and watch rates
PLACES OF WORSHIP.
Rochester Cathedral. - The Hon. and Right. Rev. G. Murray, D.D., Bishop; The Very
Rev. R.Stevens, D.D.,Dean; Rev. Dr. Robinson, Rev. M. Irving, D.D.,Ven. Archdeacon
King, Rev. J. Griffith, D.D., Rev. E. Hawkins, D.D., Canons; Rev. S.
Shaw, Rev. Goddard, Hon Canons; John Hasley Law, Esq., Counsel; George,
Essell, Esq., Chapel Clerk ; Rev. Robert Whiston, M.A., Master of the Grammar
School; Rev. J. Coates, Second Master; Rev. W. H. Drage, Rev. S.Dewe, Minor
Canons; Rev. S. Shepherd, Precentor; J'. Hopkins, Organist; Right Hon. S.
Lushington, LL.D., Chancellor of the Diocese; G. Essell, W. W. Hayward,
Registrars ; G. Essell, Registrar of Archdeaconry Court.
St Nicholas Parish - Rev W Conway, Vicar; Rev. R Conway, Curate
St Margaret's - Rev W H Drage, Vicar; Rev. D F Warner, Curate
Wesleyan Chapel, St Margaret's Bank
Friends Meeting House, Pump Lane
Jews' Synagogue, St Margaret's Bank
Congregational Chapel, Star hill - Rev. Dr. Jenkyn, Pastor