UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Sandwich, Eastry, Thanet with Dover

Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z

Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.

SANDWICH is a market town, borough, seaport, and Cinque port, situate on the Stour, in the hundred and union of Eastry, and lathe of St. Augustine, East Kent ; 68 miles from London by road, and 98 miles by railway, 12 miles from Canterbury, nine miles south from Ramsgate, 13 miles from Margate, and four miles north from Deal; and contained in 1851, 2,996 inhabitants. There is a good corn market every Wednesday. The town is governed by a Mayor, four Aldermen, and 12 Councillors, and returns two Members to Parliament, in conjunction with Deal. There are three hospitals; also a small ancient chapel annexed to the hospital. There is also a free grammar school, founded in the time of Queen Elizabeth. The church of St. Peter is
an ancient structure. The living is a rectory ; the Rev. Horace Gilder, M.A., is the incumbent. The living of St. Clement is an endowed vicarage in the incumbency of the Rev. Edward Nicholas Braddon, M.A. The church of St. Mary has a nave and chancel, and is very ancient. The living is a vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Edward Nicholas Braddon, M.A. The Wesleyans, Baptists and Independents, have their respective temples in the town. The town is paved, and lighted with gas, but very irregularly built, the streets being very narrow. The trade of the town consists chiefly of tanning, wool-sorting and ship building. Here are an iron foundry, brewery, malting, and rope walk. Great Stonar and Little Stonar are places to the north, towards Ramsgate. In the vicinity of Richborough are the Marsh House, the Fleet, and Gustin.

POST-OFFICE - Thomas Ewell, Post-master, Butchery. Money Orders are granted
and paid at this Office.

Public Houses in Sandwich

Gentry in 1858

Traders in Melville's Directory in 1858 by surname

BANKERS.
London and County Joint Stock Banking Company, Market street. - Edward F. S. Reader, Manager. Draw on Head Office, 21, Lombard street, London.
National Provincial Bank of England, Market street. - John S. Hooper, Agent. Draw on London and Westminster Bank, Lothbury, London.

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS.
Custom House, Quay.
Inland Revenue Office.
Stamp Office, Potters street.
County Court Office, Potters street. - Thomas C. Hall, Registrar.
Assembly Rooms, Bell Inn, Strand street.
Gas Works, Quay.
Guildhall, Cattle Market.
Gaol, St. Clement's.—Lewis, Arthur Hill, Governor.
St. John's.Hospital, Cattle Market. - Accommodates six brothers and sisters.
St. Thomas's Hospital, near the Cattle Market. - Accommodates 12 brothers and sisters.

PLACES OF WORSHIP AND SCHOOLS.
St. Clement's Church. - Rev. E. N. Braddon, M.A., Vicar.
St. Peter's Church.. - Rev. Horace Gilder, M.A., Rector.
St. Mary's Church. - Rev. E. N. Braddon, M.A., Vicar.
Independent Chapel. - Rev. John Hillier, Minister.
Baptist Chapel. - Ministers various.
Wesleyan Chapel. - Ministers various
National School. - John Woodward, Master; Mrs. Jane Munday, Mistress.


And Last updated on: Sunday, 17-May-2015 18:35:18 BST