UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Snodland and Paddlesworth, Malling, Maidstone

Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z

Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.

Public Houses of Snodland

SNODLAND is a parish, three miles N.W. of Malling, and seven miles and a half N.W. of Maidstone. The population in 1851 was 625. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient and spacious structure. The living is a rectory; the Rev. Henry! Dampier Phelps, is the incumbent. There is also an Independent chapel here. Paddlesworth is one mile west, and has only one house and nine persons. It was formerly a parish. Rookery is half a mile west; Hoborough, half a mile north; Ham Mill, half a mile south; Horn Street, one mile S.W.; Groves, half a mile south; Lagland, one mile S.W,; Limsford, one mile and a half south.

POST-OFFICE - Robert Allenden, Postmaster. Letters received through Rochester.

GENTRY
Lee, William, Esq., Holloway Court, Hoborough
Phelps, Rev. Henry D., Rector


TRADERS

Allenden, Robert, grocer and postmaster
Antrum, Richard, Red Lion
Bateman, Thomas, grocer and draper
Brown James, plumber and painter
Castle, Thomas, Queen's Head Inn
Gorham, Alexander, butcher
Gorham, George, butcher
Gower, Richard, beer retailer
Hawks, Edward, carpenter
Hook, T., paper manufacturer
Huggett, James, boot maker
Large, George, blacksmith
Moore, William, shopkeeper
Peters, William, farmer
Peters, Richard, shopkeeper
Peters, Thomas William, coal merchant
Phillips, Stephen, Bull
Pierson, George, farmer
Steadman, George, miller
Stephens, Thomas, farmer, Paddlesworth
Whitby, Robert, shopkeeper


And Last updated on: Sunday, 17-May-2015 19:12:31 BST