Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
STONE is a parish and village, three miles S.E. from Appledore station, and six and a half S.E. of Tenterden, and N.E. of Rye. The population in 1851 was 424. The church is a very old building, and has six bells. The living is a vicarage, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury; the Rev. John Metcalf is the incumbent. Oxney is a marsh island, consisting of Stone and Wittersham parishes; it is about five miles long and
four broad, or nearly ten square miles, with 1,411 inhabitants. Knock House is three quarters of a mile S.E.; Cliff, half a mile S.W.; Prawls, one mile S.W.; Cophall, one mile and a half N.W.
Letters received through Rye, which is also the nearest Money Order Office.
Metcalf, Rev. John, M.A., Vicarage | Medhurst, John, Esq., Ferry House
Bates, Nathan, farmer
Cooper, Hyham, farmer
Dunstcr, Charles, fanner
Edwards, Thomas, grocer and post-office ,
Frampton, Frederick, farmer
Gorham, Thomas and William, farmers
Halberson, George, farmer
Marley, George, farmer
Pankhurst, George, farmer
Player, Henry, shoemaker
Player, William, carpenter
Spilsted, JOhn, farmer
Standen, John, farmer
Wait, Richard, carpenter
Wickham, Humphrey, farmer
Winton, Silas, blacksmith