• Home
  • London Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Some ads & my pub pages

    UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

    Search the historical London street directory, and London pub history site including early street addresses in London through the Victorian pub history of London. This search engine is broken, try address searches in the main google search to get better results. OR visit the London pub history directory index pages to which I am rapidly adding links

    Tonbridge, Tunbridge, Tunbridge Wells

    Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

    Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z

    Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.

    Public Houses in Tonbridge

    Gentry in 1858

    Traders in 1858 Melvilles Directory by surname A to J ; K to W

    TUNBRIDGE is a market town and extensive parish, 41 miles from London by rail, 30 by road; 15 W.S.W. from Maidstone, five north from Tunbndge Wells, and six S.E. from Sevenoaks. The population of the whole parish in 1851 was 16,548. The town is pleasantly situated on the river Medway, which is navigable for barges. Here is a railway station of the South Eastern Railway, and a branch line to Tunbridge Wells and Hastings. Here are breweries, maltings, corn mills, iron foundries and tanneries.
    The market, which is large, is held on the first and third Tuesday in each month. A fair is held on the 11th October.
    The town is well paved, lighted with gas, and has a good water supply. The church is very ancient, and is dedicated to St Peter and St Paul; it is a very large edifice, and will accommodate 1,500 persons; it has a very good organ, and apeal of eight bells.
    In the interior are several monuments; one to the memory of James Alexander, Esq., of Somerhill, who died in 1848, is on the south side of the chancel.
    The living is a vicarage, in the gift of John Deacon, Esq. Somerhill is the seat of Baron de Goldsmid, the celebrated financier.

    Beeching and Co., High street. Draw on Masterman and Co.
    London and County Branch Bank. Draw on 21, Lombard street.- Mr. Octavius Andrews, Manager, High street.

    Post-Office, High street. - William Ware, Postmaster. Day Mail, box closes 10-40 A.M. ; Night Mail, at 10 P.M.
    Six Almshouses and Chapel, High street.
    Six Almshouses, erected by John Brightling, blacksmith, of the town, 1648; rebuilt by voluntary contributions, 1847, Church street.
    Cemetery (now in course of formation) at Cage Green. A chapel for the Established
    Church, a chapel for the dissenters, and a house for the Sexton.

    St. Peter's and St. Paul's, parish church. - Rev. Sir C. Hardinge, Bart., Incumbent.
    St. Stephen's, (new church), Quarry hill. - Rev. W. Owen, M.A., Incumbent.
    Ebenezer, Wesleyan Chapel, Priory street.
    Wesleyan Chapel, Swan lane. - Rev. R. Ford, minister.
    Baptist Chapel, High, street.
    National School, supported principally by voluntary contributions, Bank street.

  • Home
  • Pub Research
  • Early Southwark pubs history
  • WW1 Research
  • 1918 Armistice
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Accessible Rail Transport
  • Grand Junction Canal Pub History
  • Cosford database Suffolk
  • Pub history on the River Thames
  • Maps of the UK
  • Anatomy Act 1832
  • London & Home counties :
  • London Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Essex pub history
  • Hertfordshire Pub History
  • Kent Pub History
  • Middlesex Pub History
  • Sussex Pub History
  • Surrey Pub History
  • Croydon Pub History
  • Berkshire Pub History
  • Buckinghamshire Pub History
  • East Anglia:
  • Bedfordshire Pub History
  • Cambridgeshire Pub History
  • Huntingdonshire Pub History
  • Lincolnshire Pub History
  • Rutland Pub History
  • Suffolk Pub History
  • Northamptonshire Pub History
  • South & South West :
  • Cornwall Pub History
  • Devon Pub History
  • Dorset Pub History
  • Gloucestershire Pub History
  • Hampshire Pub History
  • Isle of Wight Pub History
  • Oxfordshire Pub History
  • Somerset Pub History
  • Wiltshire Pub History
  • North & Midlands :
  • Cumberland Pub History
  • Derbyshire Pub History
  • Durham Pub History
  • Lancashire Pub History
  • Leicestershire Pub History
  • Northumberland Pub History
  • Nottinghhamshire Pub History
  • Shropshire Pub History
  • Staffordshire Pub History
  • Warwickshire Pub History
  • Yorkshire Pub History

  • And Last updated on: Sunday, 17-May-2015 21:34:57 BST