UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name

Whitfield, Dover, Thanet with Dover

Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z

Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.

Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.

WHITFIELD, or BEWSFIELD, is a parich and village, four miles north of Dover. The population in 1851 was 210. The living is a perpetual curacy, with the vicarage of Waldershare annexed; the Rev. Walter Hamilton is the incumbent. The church is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul.
Here is also a place of worship for the Independents. Ashley Court is half a mile east; Archer's Court, one mile S.W.; Lenniker, one mile S.W.; Napchester, once a Roman station, one mile north; Old Park, one mile and a half south, Pincham is a hamlet.


POST-OFFICE. - Richard William Makey, Receiver. Letters received through Dover,
which is also the nearest Money Order Office.

GENTRY.
Coleman, Richard, Esq., Parsonage
Court, Stephen, Esq.
Hamilton, Rev. Walter
Metcalf, Mr.
Sargent, George Edward, Esq.


TRADERS.
Bean, William, Rose, and carpenter
Cadman, Henry, miller
Castle, Slodden, farmer
Coleman, John N., farmer
Davidson, Thomas, corn factor
Fielding, Thomas M., farmer
Makey, R., postmaster and parish clerk
Marsh, Thomas W., carpenter
Prebble, Thomas, bootmaker
Prescott, Samuel, farmer
Regis, Lewis, bootmaker
Sutton, Richard, Royal Oak, and builder


And Last updated on: Saturday, 18-Apr-2015 15:22:09 BST