Pub history and London historical street directories

Search for a pub, an address or person

Little Warley 1882 Kellys Directory

History of Little Warley

Little Warley is a parish and village about 1 mile east from great Warley, seated on an eminence with a commanding prospect,  in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Chafford, Billericay union, Brentwood county court district, Barstable rural deanery, Essex archdeaconry and St Albans diocese. Before the Norman accession it belonged to the cathedral of St Paul. The London, Tilbury and Southend Railway Companys new line from Barking to Pitsea passes through the parish. The church of St Peter, is a plain building of brick with stone dressings standing at a considerable distance from the village, and consists of chancel and nave, with a western tower containing 1 small bell: in the chancel are two marble monuments with canopies to Dorothy wife Sir Denner Strutt, lord of this manor, who died 1641; to Sir Denner Street, without date and a second to Dame Mary Strutt, who died in 1654. The registry dates from the year 1539. The living is a rectory, yearly value 287 10s, with residence and 37 acres of glebe, in the gift of David Roberts esq, and held by the Rev Henry Jones Henry MA of St Johns College, Cambridge. The Chappington charity, left in 1709 by Hugh Chappington, of Little Warley, arising from a house and 17 acres of land, produces 30 a year, 15 of which which is applied towards the support of the schools and the remainder for other charitable purposes. On the common there are barracks for the training of recruits for the depot of the Essex regiment; these are capable of containing about fifteen hundred men: adjoining is a garrison chapel of which the Rev John Arden Bayley MA, of Oriel College, Oxford, is the chaplain. Lord Headley is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clayey; subsoil, stiff loam. The chief crops are wheat, beans, peas and barley. The area is 1,651 acres; rateable value, 3,394; the population in 1861 was 475 and in 1871, 1,397 (inclusive of 1,196 military in the barracks).

Parish clerk, William Mumford

Letters through Brentwood. Warley common is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

Parochial School (boys & girls), Miss Lucy Parson, mistress

 

Henry Rev Henry Johns MA, Rectory

Scofield Mrs

Wynne Mrs, Warley Lodge

Allen Daniel, Greyhound

Bloomfield William, farmer

Buxton Frederick George, farmer

Clark George, farmer & steward to Lord headley

Knightbridge Charles, farmer

Pinchon Walter, farmer

Seabrook Edward, farmer

Tanner William (Mrs), farmer

 

Search for a pub, an address or person

And Last updated on: Thursday, 02-Mar-2017 19:52:15 GMT