Pub history and London historical street directories

Search for a pub, an address or person

Little Warley 1894 Kellys Directory

History of Little Warley

Little Warley is a parish and village, seated on an eminence with a commanding prospect, about 1 mile east from great Warley, , in the Mid division of the county, hundred of Chafford, Brentwood petty sessional division and county court district, Billericay union, rural deanery of Barstable, archdeaconry of Essex and diocese of St Albans. Before the Norman accession it belonged to the cathedral of St paul. The London, Tilbury and Southend railway Companys direct line from Barking to Pitsea passes through the parish, and has a station at East Horndon, about 2 miles distant from the village. The church of St Peter, at a considerable distance from the village, is a plain building of brick and stone, consisting of chancel and nave and a western tower containing 1 small bell: in the chancel are two marble monuments with canopies to Sir Denner Strutt kt and bart, lord of this manor, to Dorothy (Stanmore), his 1st wife, who died in 1641, and to mary (Chapman) his 3rd wife, who died in 1654. The registry dates from the year 1539. the living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge 214, with residence and 37 acres of glebe, in the gift of David Roberts esq, and held since 1878 by the Rev Henry Jones Henry MA of St Johns College, Cambridge. The Chappington charity, left in 1709 by Hugh Chappington, of Little Warley, and arising from a house and 17 acres of land, produces 40 a year, which is applied towards charitable purposes. Lord Headley is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clayey; subsoil, stiff loam. The chief crops are wheat, beans, peas and barley. The area is 1,688 acres of land and 13 water; rateable value, 2,979; the population in 1891 was 1,165 (inclusive of 1,019 military in the barracks).

Parish clerk, William Mumford

Wall Letter Box, Little Warley school, cleared at 6.15 pm; Sundays, 11 am. Letters arrive through Brentwood, arrive at 8.30 am. Warley common is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

Parochial School (mixed), for about 40 children; average attendance, 16; Miss F E Newman, mistress

Alexander Geoffrey, Warley Lodge

Henry Rev Henry Johns MA, Rectory

Brett Saml, farmer, Clapgate Farm

Crane Wm Jas, farmer, Old England

Harris Thomas, farmer, Tylers

Harris Walter, farmer

Parson Wlizabeth (Mrs), farmer

Pinchon Walter, farmer, Little Warley Hall

Townsend William, Greyhound PH

Search for a pub, an address or person

And Last updated on: Saturday, 01-Apr-2017 12:50:40 BST