A listing of historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in London.
1991 Beer index
The 1991 edition of the East London Beer Guide - East London & City CAMRA.
Stations - Blackhorse Road (BR Barking/Victoria), Walthamstow Central (BR Liverpool Street/Victoria), Walthamstow Queens Road (BR Barking), Wood Street and St James Street (BR Liverpool Street).
Victorian terraces spread across this large area, extending from the reservoirs of the Lea Valley to Epping Forest and between Chingford in the north and Leyton in the south. It grew up following the building of the railway and the originally small population was swelled by artisans from areas such as Hackney. They generally had to travel back there to work, which affected the character of the pubs and fewer were built than in other parts of East London. In recent years the number has been expanding, however, as the shop conversion trend spread here from North London, and a wider range of real ales has become available to relieve Big Four domination.
The only brewery of modern times in Waltham Forest Borough was Collier Brothers' Essex Brewery at St James Street. It was taken over by Tollemache of Ipswich in 1920 but closed in 1972. Most of the pubs seem to have gone to Charrington.
E17 THE Artful: 80 Brunner Road. (A2/1) Grand Met-Watneys.
E17 THE BELL: 617 Forest Road. (B1/2) Grand Met-Watneys.
E17 Bentleys: 300 Hoe Street. (B2/3)
E17 CASTLE: 15 Grosvenor Rise East. (B2/4) Bass Charrington.
E17 Chequers: 145 High Street. (A2/5) Ind Coope Taylor Walker.
E17 CHESTNUT TREE: 757 Lea Bridge Road. (C2/6) Ind Coope Taylor Walker. In 1846 it was called 'The Little Wonder'. Rebuilt in 1854. The original address was Chestnut Walk. When Lea Bridge Road was widened in 1863 the pubs name was changed to commemorate it. There was a pub 'next door' called 'The Volunteer' 1863-1897.
E17 COACH & HORSES: 63 St James' Street. (A2/7) Grand Met-Watneys.
E17 COCK: 67 High Street. (A2/8) Ind Coope Taylor Walker.
E17 COLLEGE ARMS: 807 Forest Road (C1/9).
E17 COPPERMILL: 205 Coppermill Lane. (A2/10) . Formerly the Lord Kitchener.
E17 Dog & Duck: 222 Chingford Road. (A2/11) Grand Met-Watneys.
E17 Duke of Cambridge: 178 Boundary Road. (A2/12) Ind Coope Taylor Walker.
E17 DUKES HEAD: 112 Wood Street. (C2/13) Grand Met-Watneys.
E17 ESSEX ARMS: 82 & 84 Forest Road. (A1/14) Grand Met-Watneys.
E17 Essex Brewery Tap: St James Street. (A2/15) Bass Charrington.
E17 FLOWERPOT: 128 Wood Street. (C2/16) Bass Charrington. Built in 1863 as an Essex Brewery pub.
E17 GROVE TAVERN: 74 Grove Road. (B2/17) Bass Charrington.
E17 LORD BROOKE: 47 Shernhall Street. (C2/18) Bass Charrington.
E17 LORD PALMERSTON: 254 Forest Road. (A1/19) Bass Charrington.
E17 LORD RAGLAN: 199 Shernhall Street. (C2/20) Grand Met-Watneys.
E17 Lorne Arms: 64 Queen's Road. (B2/21) Bass Charrington.
E17 Marneys: 30 St James's Street. (A2/22)
E17 NAGS HEAD: 9 Orford Road. (B2/23) Grand Met-Watneys. Listed Building.
E17 PIG & WHISTLE: 185 Wood Street (C2/24) .
E17 PLOUGH: 173 Wood Street. (C2/25) Grand Met-Watneys.
E17 Prince of Wales: 58 St Andrews Road. (A1/26) Grand Met-Watneys.
E17 QUEENS ARMS: 42 Orford Road. (B2/27) Courage.
E17 Ringwood Castle: 49 Gosport Road. (A2/28) Grand Met-Trumans.
E17 Rising Sun: Woodford New Road. (D2/29) Bass Charrington.
E17 Rose & Crown: 55 Hoe Street. (B2/30) Grand Met-Trumans.
E17 ROYAL STANDARD: 1 Blackhorse Lane. (A1/31) Ind Coope Taylor Walker.
E17 SPORTSMAN: 131 Markhouse Road. (A2/32) Bass Charrington. Formerly the Common Gate.
E17 TAVERN ON THE HILL: 381 Higham Hill Road. (A1/33) Ind Coope
E17 TOWER HOTEL: 264 Hoe Street. (B2/34) Bass Charrington. Formerly Flanagans Tower.
E17 VICTORIA: 186 Hoe Street. (B2/35) . The once busy restaurant / tea room of Theodore Komisarjesky's Granada cinema has now become a pub. Some of the original decoration can still be seen but drinkers should try to visit the cinema foyer at least to sample the remaining delights of this early exercise in fantasy architecture. In the main cinema the original decoration with its grand Spanish features is largely intact. (JH).
E17 VILLAGE: 31 Orford Road. (B2/36) . New pub that opened in 1989.
E17 White Swan: 84 Wood Street. (C2/37) Grand Met-Watneys.
E17 WINDMILL: 20 Grosvenor Park Road. (B2/38) Whitbreads.
E17 WOODMAN: 150 Higham Place. (A1/39) Courage.
What I am now attempting to achieve is the coverage of an earlier London
street directory in 1832. This is unique, plus
images of the 1842 Robsons directory which confirm earlier entries and also
carry much more trade detail about a premises or person. Here is the index of streets in 1832, many with
1842 imagery added.
And next is the complete 1940 London street directory - this will take some months to complete, so bear with me!
London pub history directory.
London Street Listings in 1832.
London street listings in 1842
London Street Listings in 1818 - mainly A and B.
London public houses in 1833 Pigots.
Entire London Street Listing in 1843 - by surname.
London public houses in 1856.
London public houses in 1869.
London public houses in 1899
London 1921 Street directory in 1921
London 1940 Street directory 1940
London Pubs in 2018