Many accurate 1921 census transcriptions have already been added to the pub history site, including London, and parts of Middlesex.
At 169 Bishopsgate Street without in 1851 and up to 1915; Another house of
almost equal interest to Crosby Hall was the Paul Pindar Tavern, lately pulled
down. It was situated on the west side of Bishopsgate Street, further north than
the old palace of King Richard III, and was originally the residence of Sir Paul
Pindar, a wealthy City merchant trading to the Levant. In the reign of James I.
Sir Paul went to Turkey as Ambassador, to represent that most sagacious monarch.
His mission was a successful one, and helped materially to extend and facilitate the trade between England and the dominions of the Sublime Porte.
It is said that when he returned from the East he brought with him a magnificent diamond, valued at £30,000, which King Jamie coveted greatly, and wanted to buy, but was unable to pay for it in cash. The Turkey merchant declined to part with his property on credit, and so no deal came off. Sir Paul, however, being an obliging man, and willing to meet his Majesty half-way, used to lend him the precious jewel on hire, when he wanted to make a greater display than usual at the reception of some foreign ambassador or any- other festivity.
King Charles I, after his father's death, was also in the habit of hiring the great Pindar diamond when he too wished to appear en grande tenue on great occasions. What became of the sparkling gem, how or to whom it was disposed of eventually, history is silent.
The grand old house, one of the very finest specimens of the late Tudor style in London, was spared in the Great Fire of 1666, and went through various vicissitudes until 1810, when it was converted into a tavern of excellent repute.
Latterly it fell into a dilapidated state of repair ; but it was not demolished until purchased by the Great Eastern Railwaj' Company to make way for the suburban station of their line, and form a portion of the largest railway terminus in London.
The tavern to the very last retained the name of its famous owner, Sir Paul Pindar, and when " broken up "' must have contained some rare and fine specimens of carvings and other workmanship of the early part of the seventeenth century.
This became a tavern in the early 17th century in the former house of Sir Paul Pindar. This building survived until its demolition in November 1890; to make way for the expansion of Liverpool Street railway station. Exactly what was its relationship with the pub of the same name that continued in Bishopsgate is not yet clear. The skeletal, timber remains of the pub’s frontage were acquired by the Victoria & Albert Museum and can be seen in the Medieval & Renaissance Galleries.
The pub was rebuilt as shown in the photograph, which was taken in about
1989. This version of the pub traded for a while as the Kings Arms, but had
reverted to the name Sir Paul Pindar by 1983.
This second building was in turn demolished in 1990 and a third version of the pub opened on 2 August 1991. This is a photo of the pub as it appears now, taken in November 2006. It takes up part of the ground floor of an office block, built on the original site. **
The Paul Pindar in an exceptionally old photograph, taken by William Strudwick in around 1865 - 1869.
The Paul Pindar - with John Javens advertising next door
Kindly provided by John Carnaby
The skeletal, timber remains of the Sir Paul Pindar's frontage were acquired by the Victoria & Albert Museum and can be seen in the Medieval & Renaissance Galleries.
Kindl;y provided by Stephen Harris
Sir Paul Pindar - in Edwardian era
Kindly provided by Colleen
Sir Paul Pindar, 14 Bishopsgate Arcade, 175 Bishopsgate - in circa 1989
Kindly provided by Stephen Harris
Sir Paul Pindar, 14 Bishopsgate Arcade, 175 Bishopsgate - in November 2006
Kindly provided by Stephen Harris
You can view Louis Harwitz at 170 Bishopsgate next door
aka Lucky Bobs in 1871
Historical London public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels.
Residents at this address
1804/J Stewart/../../../Engraving in Guildhall Library **
1825/Mr Bradley Mr. Paul Pindar, Bishopsgate street Without/../../Licensed Victuallers Association
1835/James Law/../../Robson’s Directory **
1839/T H Bromley/../../Pigot’s Directory **
1841/Thomas How Bromley/../../Post Office Directory **
1841/Thomas Bromley/Inn Holder/32/Middlesex/Census
1841/Mrs Peake/Female Servant/30/Middlesex/Census
1841/Mary Cordell/Female Servant/25/../Census
1841/Ann Saunderson/Female Servant/25/../Census
1841/Samuel Laws/Male Servant/20/../Census
1841/Cristine Wells/Female Servant/20/../Census
1842/T H Bromley/../../Robson’s Directory **
1843/Thomas How Bromley/../../Post Office Directory of London **
1851/Joseph Bryant/../../../Kellys Directory
1855/John Fk. Parlour/../../Post Office Directory **
1856/Joseph Townsend/../../../Post Office Directory
October 1859/Joseph Townsend/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era
October 1859/Edmund Muncey/Incoming Licensee/../../Era
April 1861/Edmund Muncey/Outgoing Licensee/../../London City Press
April 1861/James Riley/Incoming Licensee/../../London City Press
1861/James Kelley/Licensed Victualler/37/Winstone, Lancashire/Census
1861/Ann Kelley/Wife/36/Winchmore Hill, Middlesex/Census
1861/Keziah Clements/Niece/14/Clerkenwell, Middlesex/Census
1861/James Heyes/Barman/26/Old Kent Road, Surrey/Census
1861/Sarah Ferkin/Domestic Servant/19/St Georges East, Middlesex/Census
1867/Mr Alexander Isaacson/../../../Licensed Victuallers Association
September 1870/A L Isaacson/Outgoing Licensee/../../London City Press
September 1870/R Finney/Incoming Licensee/../../London City Press
1871/Robert Finney/Licensed Victualler/26/Poplar/Census
1871/Frances Spinks/Aunt, Hose Keeper/53/Northwold, Norfolk/Census
1871/William Chites/Barman/24/Mitcham, Surrey/Census
1871/Eliza Luckin/General Servant/20/Dunmow, Essex/Census
1874/J. Hadway, Paul Pindar, 169 Bishopsgate street, EC/../../London 1874 Licensed Victuallers and Hotel Keepers Directory
1878/John Javens/../../../Photograph in Guildhall Library **
1882/George Croxton/../../../Post Office Directory
1884/George Croxton/../../../Post Office Directory
** Provided By Stephen Harris
References : Lots of references are made to two sources on the internet archive :
Edward Callows, Old London Taverns &