The Finborough Theatre history
Kensington pub index
A listing of historical London public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Kensington, London. This includes a massive area of London, including Brompton, Ladbroke Grove, Notting Hill, Kensal Town, parts of Fulham Road , Portobello Road etc. The Kensington Public House Trade Directory uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
Finborough Arms, 118 Finborough Road, London SW10 - by Matt Freestone in April 2014
Finborough Arms, 118 Finborough Road, London SW10 - in October 2003
Finborough Theatre, Ifield Road, London SW10
All kindly provided by Neil McPherson, Artistic Director of the Finborough Theatre
The following entries are in this format:
Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.
The Finborough Arms was built by Corbett and McClymont in
1868 to designs by the Godwins. See Little Chelsea, Old Earl's Court and
Finborough Road. ***
The original ground floor design featured three entrances to separate snuggeries (drinking rooms), intended to keep the various social classes separate. The new refurbishment of the Finborough restores the main entrance door to the original position, but does not discriminate as to who uses it. The first floor has over the years been a restaurant, a Masonic Lodge, a billiards hall and, from 1980, a theatre. ***
One of the Finborough Arms' most regular customers was sanitary pioneer Thomas Crapper (1836-1910). The manufacturer of sanitary goods and improver of the Water Waste Preventer (the syphon fitted in British cisterns) who promoted plumbed bathroom fittings and brought them out of the closet. He founded Thomas Crapper & Co. in 1861 who were based, successively, in Robert Street, Draycott Avenue and the King's Road, and the firm still exists today. He and his brother, George, would regularly begin their working day in the Finborough Arms with a bottle of champagne! ***
1871/Q J Andrews/Publican, Widow/38/Stonehouse, Devon/Census ****
1871/Thos J Andrews/Daughter/16/London/Census
1871/Edwin Cockerell/Potboy/22/Lingfield, Surrey/Census
The Finborough Arms was run by the Finch family for many years who took up residence sometime between 1873 and 1874. They married on 17 May 1867 at St Peter's, Pimlico, and in 1871 were running the Bee Hive pub, Barnard Terrace, Elm Grove, Holloway (since demolished). ***
1874/W Finch/../../../LV Directory ****
1881/William Finch/Licensed Victualler/43/St Georges, Middlesex/Census ****
1881/Mary A L Finch/Wife/34/Marylebone, Middlesex/Census
1881/Mary A A Finch/Daughter/10/Holloway, Middlesex/Census
1881/Florence C Finch/Daughter/8/Holloway, Middlesex/Census
1881/Alice E Finch/Daughter/6/W Brompton, Middlesex/Census
1881/Edith E Finch/Daughter/5/W Brompton, Middlesex/Census
1881/Emily B Finch/Daughter/3/W Brompton, Middlesex/Census
1881/Marion E Finch/Daughter/2/W Brompton, Middlesex/Census
1881/Ernest S Finch/Son/4 months/W Brompton, Middlesex/Census
1881/Annie Brown/Barmaid/24/Sandhurst, Berkshire/Census
1881/Rebecca White/Nurse, Widow/64/Cambridge, Cambridge/Census
1881/Ruth Channer/Servant/29/Penn, Buckingham/Census
1881/Fanny Bridger/Servant/22/Amersham, Buckingham/Census
1882/William Finch/../../../Post Office Directory ****
1891/Wm Finch/../../../Post Office Directory ****
1891/William Finch/Licensed Victualler/52/St George Hanover Square, London/Census ***
1891/Mary Ann Finch/Wife/44/Marylebone, London/Census
1891/Mary A Ada Finch/Daughter, Assistant School Mistress/20/Holloway, London/Census
1891/Florence Catherine Finch/Daughter/19/Holloway, London/Census
1891/Alice Elizabeth Finch/Daughter/16/Kensington, London/Census
1891/Edith Eliza Finch/Daughter/15/Kensington, London/Census
1891/Emily Bray Finch/Daughter/13/Kensington, London/Census
1891/Ernest Shrimpton Finch/Son/10/Kensington, London/Census
1891/Fanny Elise Finch/Daughter/5/Kensington, London/Census
1891/Rebecca White/Nurse, Widow/74/Isleham, Cambridgeshire/Census
1891/Mary Ann Jones/Barmaid/27/Newbridge, Radnorshire/Census
1891/Kate Gould/General Servant/22/Notting Hill, London/Census
1895/Wm Finch/../../../Post Office Directory ****
1899/Wm Finch/../../../Post Office Directory ****
The Finch family moved to a more spacious house in Ealing after 1891, but remained as landlords (Mrs Mary Ann Lydia Finch was listed as Landlady in 1910 and 1920), while most of the Finch family went into the licensed trade. Ernest S. Finch married Minnie Crapper, the great-niece of Thomas Crapper (see above), in 1906, and the couple emigrated to Canada in 1911 and settled in Calgary where they had two daughters. ***
1901/Martha Stephenson/Public House Manageress/25/Battersea, London/Census ***
1901/Percy F Hunt/Public House Manager/24/Leamington, Warwickshire/Census
1901/Alice Hagg/Barmaid/20/Norwich, Norfolk/Census
1901/Lottie Cook/Barmaid/20/Kilburn, London/Census
1901/Matilda Page/Cook/26/Lambeth, London/Census
1910/Mrs Mary Ann Lydia Finch/../../../Post Office Directory ****
By 1911, Percy Hunt was running the Blantyre Arms in Blantyre Street with his wife, Georgina Emma Hunt, and Martha Stephenson was a single servant, resident at The Chelsea Potter at 119 King's Road. ***
Present on the night of 2 April 1911:
George Edward Uwins. Manager. A 29 year old single man from Reigate, Surrey. Licensed for the bar trade in Victoria.
Hilda Louise Ball. Manageress. A 39 year old widow from Cork, Ireland. Licensed for the bar trade in Victoria.
Jade Ann Duff. Servant, Cook and Domestic. A 47 year old single woman from Perthshire, Scotland. She is listed as "Resident" which may mean that the rest of the staff lived off-site.
Margaret Bowen. Barmaid. A 30 year old single woman from Mill End, London
Constance May Giles. Barmaid. A 22 year old single woman from Battersea, London
From 11 November 1935 to 8 October 1942, the pub was leased to The Improved Public House Company Limited. This company, the brainchild of Whitbread director Sir Sydney Oswald Neville (1873-1969), developed and refurbished public houses to make them appeal to a wider public with an emphasis on “fewer and better” pubs, centred around larger, “improved” premises, run by salaried managers instead of independent tenants. The Improved Public House Company was founded in 1920 to assume responsibility for the management of its new large outlets. By 1939, it owned 17 pubs and managed a further 32. ***
On 18th October 1940, during the Blitz, a bomb hit 2 Leopold Road, Ealing Common – the home of the Finch family, lessees of the Finborough Arms Pub for more than fifty years. Florence Catherine Finch, aged 69, and Mary Ann Ada Finch, aged 70, were killed at the scene. Their mother, Mary Ann Lydia Finch, died of her injuries two days later at King Edward Hospital, Ealing. She was 93 years old. ***
The pub was owned by Whitbread brewery until 2000. ***
Other staff and managers of The Finborough Arms have included: ***
1991-1992 - John Gibson
1996 - Sheila English
1998-2001 - David Teakel (resident)
2001-2002 - Jay Hindmarsh (resident)
Renamed 'The Finborough' ***
2002-2006 - Joshua Reid
2007 - Andrew Fay
Renamed 'The Finborough Road Brasserie' ***
2008-2010 - Tracey Coles
Renamed 'The Finborough Wine Cafe' ***
November 2010-September 2013 - Rob Malcolm and Monique Ziervogel
The pub was owned by Enterprise Inns from 2000 to 2012. The building freehold was sold to a private landlord in 2012. ***
The pub was then closed until:
The name changed back to The Finborough Arms
February 2014-May 2015 - Jeffrey Bell ***
May 2015 to date - James Sirrell ***
** Provided By Stephen Harris
*** Provided By Neil McPherson - Finsborough Theatre
**** Provided By Kevan
What I am now attempting to achieve is the coverage of an earlier London
street directory in 1832. This is unique, plus
images of the 1842 Robsons directory which confirm earlier entries and also
carry much more trade detail about a premises or person. Here is the index of streets in 1832, many with
1842 imagery added.
And next is the complete 1940 London street directory - this will take some months to complete, so bear with me!
London pub history directory.
London Street Listings in 1832.
London street listings in 1842
London Street Listings in 1818 - mainly A and B.
London public houses in 1833 Pigots.
Entire London Street Listing in 1843 - by surname.
London public houses in 1856.
London public houses in 1869.
London public houses in 1899
London 1921 Street directory in 1921
London 1940 Street directory 1940
London Pubs in 2018