London History and lots of Pub historical facts

Old Pack Horse, 434 High road, Chiswick

A London street directory at London 1919 which largely encompasses london street history and also pub history of the last 100 years and more. You can contribute to this amazing new project, along with the many contributors to the current pub history site, nearly anything goes. See the footer of the page for more detail.

Search the PUB HISTORY and London sites and much more

Women at the Wicket: A History of Women's Cricket in Interwar England. Written by Adam McKie

Duke of Sussex, 23 Oakley Street, Lambeth, London

Lambeth pub history index

Up until 1874, the address is the Duke of Sussex, 12 Gibson street, at or near the junction with Thomas street. By the 1882 directory the address is at 23 Oakley street, at or near the junction with Thomas street; and Gibson street has disappeared.  The pub was re-built in its present form in 1924; and through road renaming is now at 23 Baylis Road, by 1944 **

A listing of historical London public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in the Lambeth parish, Surrey, London. This includes Kennington, Brixton, Lambeth, Norwood, Peckham & Waterloo Road.The Lambeth parish, Surrey, London Public House Trade Directory uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.

Duke of Sussex, 23 Baylis Road - in November 2006

Duke of Sussex, 23 Baylis Road - in November 2006

Kindly provided by Stephen Harris

The following entries are in this format:

Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.

Duke of Sussex, 12 Gibson street :

1825/Richard Shepherd, Duke of Sussex, Gibson street/../../../Victuallers Recognizance *

1825/Mr Shepherd/../../../Licensed Victuallers Association ****

1827/Shepherd/../../../Licensed Victuallers Association ****

1835/William Francis Stowell/victualler and spirit dealer/../../Sun Fire Office records held at the London Metropolitan Archives *

1836/John Clark/victualler and spirit dealer/../../Sun Fire Office records held at the London Metropolitan Archives *

1838/John Clark/victualler/../../Sun Fire Office records held at the London Metropolitan Archives *

1839/John Clark/../../../Pigot's Directory *

1841/R G Griffiths/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1842/Rd Stephen Griffiths/../../../Gibsons Directory ****

1848/Rd Stephen Griffiths/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1856/R S Griffiths/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1869/John Wells/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1874/C Miller/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1874/C Miller/../../../Licensed Victualler & Hoteliers Directory ****

Duke of Sussex, 23 Oakley street :

1881/Benjamin Bridgons/Licensed Victualler, Widow/69/St Pancras, Middlesex/Census ****
1881/Walter Farmer/Manager (Publican)/32/Shoreditch, Middlesex/Census
1881/Catherine Farmer/Barmaid/22/Shoreditch, Middlesex/Census
1881/Alice Farmer/Barmaid/20/Shoreditch, Middlesex/Census
1881/Herbert Williment/Potman/19/Brixton, Surrey/Census

1882/Benjamin Bridgins/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1884/Benjamin Bridgins/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1891/James Deekes/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1895/Henry Samuel Onken/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1899/Henry Samuel Onken/../../../Post Office Directory ****

My great grandfather, Frederick John Cole, was shown living at the Kings Arms, Bethnal Green in 1900. He was later the publican at the Percy Arms, Maxey Road, Plumstead by the 1901 census, and then the Duke of Sussex in Oakley Road, Lambeth by 1906. *+

1910/Fredk John Cole/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1915/Fredk John Cole/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1938/Mrs Emily Caroline Cole/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1944/Jas Fredk Cole/../../../Post Office Directory ****

Mr J F Cole was born in this house in 1906, and to celebrate his fifty years of domicile, Mr Peter Pryor and A M Bates visited the house. In 1905, Frederick J Cole (father of present licensee) became manager of the Duke of Sussex, and in 1909 he took over the tenancy. The licence was transferred to his widow at the time of his death in 1919, but Mr James F Cole looked after the house for his mother, becoming tenant himself when she died in 1938. - Black Eagle Quarterly Journal ***

A Toast to Mr & Mrs Cole in celebration of fifty years domicile

A Toast to Mr & Mrs Cole in celebration of fifty years domicile

Kindly provided by Alex Wilkinson

J F Cole died October 26th, 1958 - Black Eagle Journal ***

Mrs Daisy Cole, widow of the late J F Cole, died August 23rd, 1964. Her son, J F Cole is now tenant of this house, which has been in the Cole family since 1905 - Black Eagle Journal ***

* Provided By Ewan

*+ Provided By Lesley

** Provided By Stephen Harris

*** Provided by Alex Wilkinson

**** Provided By Kevan

If you would like to contribute the amazing new project to map London over the last hundred years and more, please continue to read. What is needed is mainly details of when a London street was renamed, bombed, cleared, or tidied. Pictures are the best way of expressing anything, and a picture tells a thousand words. Also needed is those thousand words, or even fity words. Anything will be brilliant. Please help out before the London skyline is transformed for ever. What is needed, just an email to the Email the London team. We can do the rest; and you also get your name on the site, if this is OK.

And Last updated on: Monday, 11-Jun-2018 15:38:13 BST