UK and London street directory and pub history

Black Boy , 169 Mile End Road, Mile End E1

Mile End Pubs history

This pub was present by 1750; in 1856, listed as 9 1/2 Mile End Road; At 179 Mile End Road in 1910. It was re-built in its present form in 1904 at the time of the construction of Stepney Green Station. The pub closed in c.1996 and the building now houses two fast food outlets (2006). It also traded as the Farmers Arms in the 1940s and as Fifth Avenue in its final years. **

This pub was re-built in its present form in 1904 at the time of the construction of Stepney Green Station. The pub closed in c.1996 and the building now houses two fast food outlets.  **

From 137 Mile End Road to the Black Boy Tavern no 169, the houses are all pulled down for the construction of the Whitechapel & Bow Railway.
From the Black Boy to the corner of Globe Road, all the houses are down for the construction of the railway mentioned above. - 1901 census commentary ****

A listing of historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Mile End, East London  - in East London. The Mile End East London listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.

Black Boy, 169 Mile End Road - in April 2006

Black Boy, 169 Mile End Road - in April 2006

Kindly provided by Stephen Harris

The following entries are in this format:

Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.

1805/Richard Hall, Black Boy, Mile End/../../Holdens Directory ****

1813/Hall/Victualler/../../Sun Fire Office Records, held by Guildhall Library **.

1833-34/Francis Goode, Black Boy, Mile End Road/../../Pigots Directory ****

1834/Mr Francis Goode/../../../Licensed Victuallers Association

1839/Sarah Goode/../../../Pigotís Directory **

1841/Sarah Goode/../../../P.O. Directory **

1842/S Goode/../../../Robsonís Directory **

1843/Mrs Sarah Goode, Black Boy,  9 1/2 Mile end road /../../Kelly's ****

1844/George Grimes/../../../Thompsonís Directory **

1847/G F Grimes / Outgoing Licensee /../../The Era, Sunday 17 January, 1847 **

1847/William Andrew Myer / Incoming Licensee /../../The Era, Sunday 17 January, 1847 **

1851/William Cragg/../../../Kelly's ****

Prior to the Black Boy, John Dorton is licensee of the Lord Wellington, Bethnal green

Mary Dorton (nee Brown) is the daughter of George Brown (George was born about 1792). *

1851/John Dorton/Licensed Victualler/45/Bethnal Green, Middlesex/Census *
1851/Mary Dorton/Wife/42/Bethnal Green, Middlesex/Census
1851/Mary Ann Dorton/Daughter, Barmaid/19/Bethnal Green, Middlesex/Census
1851/Sarah Dorton/Daughter/12/Bethnal Green, Middlesex/Census
1851/Jane Dorton/Daughter/4/Bethnal Green, Middlesex/Census
1851/Robert Baycus/Servant/23/Bethnal Green, Middlesex/Census

In 1855, Elizabeth Dorton, daughter of John Dorton (not listed at the pub in 1851), married Thomas Curme, and they soon after run the Alfreds Head

1852/John Dorton/../../../Watkins Directory **

January 1855/John Dorton/ Outgoing Licensee /../../The Era ****

January 1855/Frederick Ward/ Incoming Licensee /../../The Era ****

1856/Mrs Mary Ann Watts/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1862/Samuel Alger/../../../Post Office Directory ****

August 1863/Samuel Alger, deceased the late occupier/Outgoing Licensee/../../East London Observer +

August 1863/Sarah Alger/Incoming Licensee/../../East London Observer +

July 1864/Sarah Alger/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era ****

July 1864/Stalwood Frederick Watkinson/Incoming Licensee/../../Era ****

4th July 1868/James Brown/Outgoing Licensee/../../East London Observer +

4th July 1868/James Pye/Incoming Licensee/../../East London Observer +

1869/James Bye/../../../P.O. Directory **

1874/J Bye/../../../H.D. Miles London & Suburban Licensed Victuallers' Directory **

1876/James Bye/../../../P.O. Directory **

August 1878/James Bye/Outgoing Licensee/../../East London Observer ****

August 1878/George Hyde Case/Incoming Licensee/../../East London Observer ****

10th January 1880/George Hyde Case/Outgoing Licensee/../../East London Observer +

10th January 1880/Arthur Gilbey/Incoming Licensee/../../East London Observer +

1881/Arthur Gilbey/Publican/49/Melbourne, Cambridge/Census ****
1881/Agnes Gilbey/Wife/45/Clerkenwell, Middlesex/Census
1881/A Franks/Domestic Servant/17/Bow, Middlesex/Census
1881/Joseph Wright/Potman/22/Mile End, Middlesex/Census

1882/Arthur Gilbey/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1884/Arthur Gilbey/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1886/Alfred Toye/../../../Business Directory of London **

1888/Alfred Toye/../../../P.O. Directory **

1891/Alfred Toye/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1894/Alfred Toye/../../../P.O. Directory **

1895/Alfred Toye/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1899/Charles Wilkinson/../../../Post Office Directory ****

I believe my ancestors ran the Black Boy in 1901 ***

1901/George Coake/Publican/57/Poplar, Middlesex/Census ***
1901/Emma A Coake/Wife, Manageress 'Black Boy Inn'/48/../Census

1910/Mrs Kate Marock/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1915/Mrs Kate Marock/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1916/Mrs Kate Marock/../../../P.O. Directory **

1917/Mrs Kate Marock/../../../P.O. Directory **

1921/Mrs Kate Marock/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1934/Louis Rozelaar/../../../Kelly's ****

1944/Louis Rozelaar/../../../Kelly's ****


+ Provided by Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park

* Provided By Ian Brown

** Provided By Stephen Harris

*** Provided By Leanne Mainard

**** Provided By Kevan

And Last updated on: Monday, 11-Jun-2018 17:27:22 BST