UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

Search the historical London street directory and pub history site by surname, street or pub name; you will find many obscure early street addresses in London through the Victorian pub history of London and early parish and licensing records on this site. Most records are before 1944 plus some modern detail, and lots of pictures.

Duke Of Norfolk , 30 Norfolk Street, Globe Road, Mile End E1

Mile End Pubs history

At 30 Norfolk Street by 1891; Also known as the Norfolk Arms in 1901. Norfolk Street renamed to Massingham Street; The pub was built sometime between 1848 and 1855, and closed in 1999. The premises are now in residential use.  **

A listing of historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Mile End, East London  - in East London. The Mile End East London listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.

The Duke of Norfolk

The Duke of Norfolk

Kindly provided by Pat Gatsky

Duke of Norfolk, 30 Massingham Street - in December 2006

Kindly provided by Stephen Harris

The following entries are in this format:

Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.

August 1859/Joseph Lucas/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era Newspaper ****

August 1859/William Martin/Incoming Licensee/../../Era Newspaper ****

July 1863/William Martin/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era ****

July 1863/William Thomas Mason/Incoming Licensee/../../Era ****

1864/William Thomas Mason/ Outgoing Licensee /../../The Era, 22 May 1864 *

1864/Edwin Wheeler/ Incoming Licensee /../../The Era, 22 May 1864 *

October 1865/Edwin Wheeler/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era Newspaper ****

October 1865/Mary Ann Watkinson/Incoming Licensee/../../Era Newspaper ****

16th May 1868/Mary Ann Watkinson/Outgoing Licensee/../../East London Observer +

16th May 1868/Peter Jackson/Incoming Licensee/../../East London Observer +

4th July 1868/Peter Jackson/Outgoing Licensee/../../East London Observer +

4th July 1868/Caroline Cahill/Incoming Licensee/../../East London Observer +

1869/Mrs Caroline Cahill/../../../Post Office Directory ****

May 1869/Catherine Cahill/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era ****

May 1869/John Kolls/Incoming Licensee/../../Era ****

13th August 1870/John Kells/Outgoing Licensee/../../East London Observer +

13th August 1870/Richard Kells/Incoming Licensee/../../East London Observer +

14th July 1874/Richard Kells/Outgoing Licensee/../../East London Observer +

14th July 1874/James Bullock/Incoming Licensee/../../East London Observer +

12th May 1877/Frederick James Bullock/Outgoing Licensee/../../East London Observer +

12th May 1877/Robert Scott/Incoming Licensee/../../East London Observer +

1881/A J Lynch/Licensed Victualler/29/St Georges E, Middlesex/Census ****
1881/A J S Lynch/Wife/27/St Georges E, Middlesex/Census
1881/A A Lynch/Son/8/Stepney, Middlesex/Census
1881/A W Lynch/Son/7/Stepney, Middlesex/Census
1881/G E Lynch/Son/5/Stepney, Middlesex/Census
1881/S Lynch/Daughter/> 1/Stepney, Middlesex/Census
1881/E Turner/General Servant/18/Brentford, Middlesex/Census
1881/Eliza Green/Mother In Law/59/Dunstable, Bedford/Census

1891/Mrs Eliza Maria Bullock/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1895/Mrs Eliza Maria Bullock/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1899/Mrs Eliza Maria Bullock/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1901/Eliza Bullock/Licensed Victualler, Widow/59/Romford, Essex/Census ****
1901/Charles Bullock/Son, Manager/29/Whitechapel, London/Census
1901/Flora Bullock/Daughter/28/Mile End, London/Census
1901/Clara Bullock/Daughter, Dressmaker/24/Mile End, London/Census
1901/Ada Bullock/Daughter, Dressmaker/21/Stepney, London/Census
1901/Robert Hodder/Potman/21/Islington, London/Census

1910/Mrs Florence Cross/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1915/Robert Alfred Johnson/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1934/David Levene/../../../Kelly's ****

The name of Norfolk Street., became Massingham Street, at some stage. Lewis Waterman was bombed out of the Albert Arms in Bancroft Rd; and became landlord of the Duke of Norfolk. That was in 1944 he stayed there until 1953 when he then took over the Kings Head in Bow Road. Morris Kaye then took the Duke of Norfolk and stayed until he died in 1959, when his wife Kitty became the licensee. *

1944/Lewis Waterman/../../../.. *

1953/Morris Kaye/../../../.. *

1953/Kitty Kaye/../../../.. *


+ Provided by Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park

* Provided by Pat Gatsky

** Provided By Stephen Harris

*** Provided By Ken Ripper

**** Provided By Kevan


And Last updated on: Friday, 25-Aug-2017 23:00:24 BST