A London street directory and UK Pub history research

Search the London street directory and pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Captain Man of War, 324 High Street, Poplar E14

Poplar pub history index

This pub was established in 1811 and closed in 1906. It was demolished in around 1963. At 127 Poplar High Street before 1871 and renumbering **

A listing of historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Poplar, London - in East London. The Poplar, East London listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.

The following entries are in this format:

Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.

1813/Charles Webb / Victualler /../../records of Sun Fire Office – held at Guildhall Library **

1817/Charles Webb / Victualler /../../records of Sun Fire Office – held at Guildhall Library **

1833/Edw Havard/../../../LVAssociation ****

1835/John Goodall/../../../Robson’s Directory **

1839/John Goodall/../../../Pigots Directory **

1842/J Goodall/../../../Robson’s Directory **

1851/John Goodall/../../../Kellys Directory ****

1851/John Goodall/Licensed Victualler/51/Yorkshire/Census ****
1851/Elizabeth Goodall/Wife/44/Deptford, Kent/Census
1851/Mary Ann Goodall/Daughter/18/Poplar, Middlesex/Census
1851/Elizabeth Marr/Visitor/22/Deptford, Kent/Census
1851/Amelia Barrett/Domestic Servant/23/London/Census

1856/John Goodall/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1861/Elizabeth Goodall/Victualler, Widow/55 Deptford, Kent//Census ****
1861/Emily A Goodall/Daughter, Barmaid/19/Poplar, Middlesex/Census
1861/Mary A Hurley/Servant/24/Poplar, Middlesex/Census
1861/John Coram/Servant/31/St Georges East, Middlesex/Census

1862/Mrs E Goodall/../../../P.O. Directory **

1866/Mrs Elizabeth Goodall/../../../P.O. Directory **

1869/Mrs E Goodall/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1871/James Bishop/Licensed Victualler/33//Census ****
1871/Mary Ann Bishop/Wife/32/Twickenham/Census
1871/John Bell/Potman/18/Shadwell/Census
1871/William Fowell/Barman/30//Census

1874/R Abbott/../../../H.D. Miles London & Suburban Licensed Victuallers' Directory **

January 1874/Richard Abbott/Outgoing Licensee/../../East London Observer ****

January 1874/George Charles Cannon/Incoming Licensee/../../East London Observer ****

10th January 1880/George Charles Cannon/Outgoing Licensee/../../East London Observer +

10th January 1880/Thomas John Caton/Incoming Licensee/../../East London Observer +

Thomas J Caton is previously at his parents pub, the Ship Brunwick.

1881/Thomas J Caton/Licensed Victualer/33/Poplar, Middlesex/Census ****
1881/A E Caton/Wife/27/Notting Hill/Census
1881/John Caton/Brother, Licensed Victualer/25/Poplar, Middlesex/Census
1881/Bertha Bailey/Visitor/13/Notting Hill/Census
1881/Thomas Dongworth/Potman/15/Isle Of Dogs, Middlesex/Census

1884/Thomas J Caton/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1886/Thomas J Caton/../../../Business Directory of London **

1891/Thomas John Caton/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1891/Thomas Caton/Publican/43/Poplar, London/Census ****
1891/Ann Caton/Wife/36/Notting Hill, London/Census
1891/Grace Caton/Daughter/7/Poplar, London/Census
1891/Mary Caton/Daughter/5/Poplar, London/Census
1891/Eliza Caton/Daughter/2/Poplar, London/Census
1891/James Caton/Brother, Potman/35/Poplar, London/Census
1891/Elizabeth Henry/Domestic Servant/22/Poplar, London/Census
1891/Emma Clark/Nursemaid/20/Poplar, London/Census

1895/Thomas John Caton/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1899/Thomas John Caton/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1901/Thomas Caton/Publican/53/Poplar, London/Census ****
1901/Ada Caton/Wife/48/Peckham, Surrey/Census
1901/Grace Caton/Daughter/18/Poplar, London/Census
1901/Mable Caton/Daughter/16/Poplar, London/Census
1901/Ethal Caton/Daughter/12/Poplar, London/Census
1901/John Caton/Brother, Barman/44/Poplar, London/Census
1901/Florrie Howle/General Servant/23/Poplar, London/Census

After the Captain Man of War pub was closed by the Truman brewery in 1906. Thomas Caton and his family moved to the White Hart, 47 Turner Street by 1910; and were there in the 1911 census. ***

+ Provided by Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park

** Provided by Stephen Harris

*** Provided by Hazel Nicholson

**** Provided By Kevan

And Last updated on: Sunday, 27-Aug-2017 01:11:19 BST