Pub history and London

Crosby Head, 1 & 3 Pitfield Street, Shoreditch

The address is 1 & 3 Pitfield Street in 1944 and earlier, at 1 Pitfield Street in 1915 and earlier, and at 38 Pitfield Street in 1856 and earlier. The modern address is 243 Old Street. The name is given as the Crosby's Head in 1851 and earlier (and as the Shakespeare's Head in the 1856 Directory only). *
It had been rebuilt at the foot of a modern development by 1983 and in 2005 was renamed Bar Ria, the name in use today. ** Recently renamed as Roadtrip (2014). *+

Shoreditch index

A listing of historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Shoreditch, East London.

Crosby Head, 243 Old Street, EC1 - in 1986

Crosby Head, 243 Old Street, EC1 - in 1986

Crosby Head, 243 Old Street, EC1 - in 1986

Crosby Head, 243 Old Street, EC1 - in 1986

Two pictures, From the Archives of East London & City CAMRA

The following entries are in this format:

Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.

1802/John Axe / Victualler /../../Sun Fire Office records held at Guildhall Library **

1817/George Carman / Publican /../../House of Commons Committee Report/Police of the Metropolis 1817 **

1825/Mr Hart, Crosbys Head, Old street road/../../Licensed Victuallers Association

October 1826/William Hart / Victualler, Crosbies Head, Old Street Road /../../Sun Fire Office records, held at London Metropolitan Archives **

1827/William Hart/../../../Licensed Victuallers Association

1832/Hart/47 Old street road/../../Robsons Directory

1833-34/William Hart/47 Old street road/../../Pigot's Directory

1839/George Gurney/../../../Pigot's Directory *

1841/George Gurney/../../../Post Office Directory *

1846/Henry Gurney/../../../Post Office Directory **

1848/Henry Gurney/../../../Post Office Directory *

1851/Henry Gurney/../../../Kelly’s Directory **

1856/Francis Frebout/../../../Post Office Directory *

August 1860/George Gurney/Outgoing Licensee/../../East London Observer

August 1860/John Samuel Sweasey/Incoming Licensee/../../East London Observer

May 1866/John S Sweasey/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era

May 1866/Charles A Mackness/Incoming Licensee/../../Era

1869/John Osborne Mackness/../../../Post Office Directory *

1870/Francis Frebout / Licensed Victualler, deceased / Died, in or about the month of December 1870 /../../London Gazette, 18 August 1874 **

1881/James Squire/Public House Manager/41/Shoreditch, Middlesex/Census
1881/Samuel Darby/Barman/27/Surrey/Census
1881/Edwin Griffith/Barman/19/Poplar, Middlesex/Census
1881/Julia Webell/Barmaid/23/Whitechapel, Middlesex/Census
1881/Francis Percival/Servant/41/Shoreditch, Middlesex/Census

1882/John Osborne/../../../Post Office Directory *

1884/John Osborne/../../../Post Office Directory *

1895/Robert Turner/../../../Post Office Directory *

1899/Mrs Sarah Ann Winters/../../../Post Office Directory *

1909/John Griffiths & Frederick Uffelmann / Wine & Spirit Merchants /../../London Gazette, 9 July 1909 **

1910/Charles Griffiths/../../../Post Office Directory *

1915/Harry Herbert Norton/../../../Post Office Directory *

1921/H. H. Norton/../../../Hughes Directory *

1923/Harry Herbert Norton/../../../Post Office Directory **

1934/Douglas Henry Norton/../../../Post Office Directory *

1938/George Grimoldy/../../../Post Office Directory *

1944/Herbert Rd Hooke/../../../Post Office Directory **

G H Yolland, of the Crosby Head, Shoreditch, received a large size coloured poster of Bing Crosby recently. The film stars gift prompted some research into the origin of the name of the house; one theory is that it is named after Sir John Crosby, a distinguished citizen of Shoreditch in the fifteenth century ***

1950/G H Yolland/../../../Black Eagle Journal ***

1971/E. H. Cox/../../../BT Telephone Directory *


* Provided By Ewan

*+ Provided by Tris

** Provided By Stephen Harris

*** Provided By Alex Wilkinson

And Last updated on: Saturday, 06-Oct-2018 17:55:04 BST