Southwark St Saviour pub history index
A listing of historical London public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Southwark St Saviour, London.
The Tabard is perhaps the most famous of all Southwark inns, owing to the fact that Chaucer has selected it as the starting point for his Canterbury Pilgrims:—
"Byfel that in that sesoun on a day,
In Southwark at the Tabard as I lay."
He even mentions the name of the jovial landlord, Henry Bailly, a real personage, who represented Southwark in the Parliament held at Westminster, A.D. 1376. 4
It is recorded that in 1304 the Abbot and Convent of Hyde purchased here from William de Lategareshall two houses, held of the Archbishop of Canterbury. On this site the abbot built himself a town dwelling, and at the same time probably a hostelry for the convenience of travellers. In 1307 he obtained licence from the Bishop of Winchester to build a chapel at or by the inn. In a later deed occur the following words: "The Abbott's lodgeinge was wyninge to the backside of the inn called the Tabarde and had a garden attached." Stow, in his Survey, puts the matter clearly when he says, "Within this inn was also the lodging of the Abbot of Hide (by the City of Winchester) a fair house for him and his train, when he came to that city to parliament." A lease of the Tabard dated 1st April, 31 Henry VIII., has been found by Mr. G. Rutter Fletcher, F.S.A., and was printed, with notes by the present writer, in the "Collections" of the Surrey Archæological Society, 1896, Vol. XIII. Its chief interest lies in the enumeration of the rooms and their fixtures, given in the schedule, which may not unlikely represent the house much as it was in Chaucer's time.
At the dissolution this inn, with other possessions of Abbot Salcote or Capon, was surrendered, and granted by the king to Thomas and John Master. The sign of the Tabard (or sleeveless coat, like that worn by heralds), sometimes the Syrcote, was used till about the end of the sixteenth century, when it was little by little changed to Talbot, perhaps through fancy or carelessness. Aubrey says, "the ignorant landlord or tenant, instead of the ancient sign of 'The Tabard,' put up 'The Talbot,' a species of dog." Be this as it may, in certain Chancery proceedings of 27th June 1599, both names are used. About this time there were large additions to the building. We are told by Speght in his second edition of Chaucer (1602) that:—"Whereas through time it has been much decaied, it is now by Master J. Preston, with the Abbot's house thereto adjoined, newly repaired, and with convenient rooms much increased for the receipt of many guests." In 1676 occurred the great Southwark fire, when "the Talbot, with its backhouses and stables, &c., was burnt to the ground." It was, however, rebuilt on the old plan, as depicted in drawing No. 7, and continued to be a picturesque and interesting example of seventeenth century architecture until 1875-76, when the whole was swept away. Hop merchants' offices and a modern "Old Tabard" occupy the site. Here Roman objects were found in 1912. This drawing was copied from one by George Shepherd (1810) which is in private hands. It formerly belonged to the late Mr. R. P. Evans, hop merchant, who occupied rooms in the George Inn Yard.
The Talbot Inn, previously the Tabard Inn (1669) was demolished in 1873. For later detail, see the Old Tabard.
Borough High Street in the Morgans map of 1682. On east side are 113 Kings Head Inne, 112 White Hart Inne, 111 Three Crown court, George Inne, 110 Talbot Inne, 109 Queens head Inne, 108 Cock & hoop alley, 107 Windmill alley, 106 Christopher alley , 105 Spurr Inne. On west sideare 62 Malings yard, 63 Saints alley, 64 Great yard, 65 Fishmongerv alley, 66 Bell yard, 67 Windmill alley, 68 Whitehorse Inne, 69 Greyhound Inne, 70 Maypole alley.
Borough High Street in 1746. On east side are Kings Head Inn, White Hart Inn, Three Crane court, George Inn, Talbot Inn, Queens Head Inn, Windmill alley, Christopher alley, Spur Inn, Nags Head alley. On west sideare Boars Head Inn, Brewhouse, Fishmongers alley, Bell Yard, White Horse stables, Greyhound Inn, Red Lyon Inn, Maypole alley.
The pub was originally called The Tabard, built in 1307 for the Abbot of Hyde (a monastery in Winchester) as a base
for his London business.
In the Prologue to The Canterbury Tales, (c1380) Geoffery Chaucer describes the characters meeting at The Tabard, before setting off to on their pilgrimage.
During the Dissolution of the Monastries (1536-41) The Tabard was taken from the Abbot and passed into private ownership.
It was destroyed in the Great Fire Of Southwark (26.5.1676) along with most of the other inns in the area. It was quickly rebuilt and was at this point renamed as the Talbot.
The Morgans map of 1682 cofirms the existence of the Talbot Inne at that time.
During the 18th & 19th centuries it flourished as a coaching Inn, but business declined with the coming of the railways and it though the pub continued the rest of the building became a parcel office for the train companies.
The building was demolished in 1873, and a smaller pub named the Old Tabard was built facing the main road at 85 Borough High Street **.
An circa 1870 photo of the the north side of The Talbot, Talbot Yard, 75 Borough High Street.
Kindly provided by Vincent O'Loughlin
The Talbot Inn, Borough High Street, Southwark
Talbot Yard, Southwark
Kindly provided by Colleen
Residents at this address.
1805/_ Collett, Talbot Inn, Borough High street/../../Holdens Directory
1817/Stanbury and Collett/ Inn holders/../../Johnstones London Directory
1822/Joseph Maynard/../../../Victuallers Recognizance
1823/Joseph Maynard/../../../Victuallers Recognizance
1825/Thomas Lott/../../../Victuallers Recognizance
1826/Thomas Lott/../../../Victuallers Recognizance
1832/James Fulljames, Talbot, Borough High street, Southwark/../../Robsons Directory
1841/John Fulljames/../../../Post Office Directory *
1842/John Fulljames/../../../Robsons Directory
1851/Elizabeth Fulljames/../../../Kellys Directory
1851/Elizabeth Fulljames/Licensed Victualler, Widow/48/Raysh, Kent/Census
1851/Mary Franklin/Sister, Widow/60/Raysh, Kent/Census
1851/Jane Thomas/Servant, Widow/56/Somerset/Census
1851/Elizabeth Smith/Charwoman, Widow/52/Somerset/Census
1851/Stephen Haliday/Potman, Widow/50/Yarmouth, Norfolk/Census
1851/Isais Curtis/Servant, Sailors Mate/36/Yarmouth, Norfolk/Census
1851/Daniel Suter/Lodger, Porter/37/Frant, Surrey/Census
November 1851/Elizabeth Sleep (late Fulljames)/ Outgoing Licensee /../../The Era
November 1851/Henry Sleep, her husband/ Incoming Licensee /../../The Era
1856/Henry Sleep/../../../Post Office Directory
1861/Robert Gooch/Inn Keeper/31/Bury, Suffolk/Census
1861/Caroline Gooch/Wife/31/Bury, Suffolk/Census
1861/Henry Mathias Gooch/Son/8/Bury, Suffolk/Census
1861/Arthur Edward Gooch/Son/6/Hoxton, Middlesex/Census
1861/Robert Gooch/Son/3/Bloomsbury, Middlesex/Census
1861/Douglas Gooch/Son/1/Southwark, Surrey/Census
1861/Steven Hallady/House Servant/48/Southwark, Surrey/Census
1861/Eliza Hallady/House Servant/50/Kent/Census
1861/Lewis Flook/Lodger, Hop Porter/56/Alderby, Gloucestershire/Census
1869/Robert Gooch/../../../Post Office Directory
November 1870/Walter Edward Johnson/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era
November 1870/John Wilson/Incoming Licensee/../../Era
* Provided By Ewan
** Provided By Vincent O'Loughlin
*** Provided By Bev Howlett