St Gregory by St St Pauls pub history index
Prior to the Great Fire of 1666, this pub was called the Mitre, on re-building it was renamed the Lyre. By 1717 it was called the Goose & Gridiron. It was rebuilt in 1786 and demolished in 1895. An 1895 watercolour of the pub by John Phillipps Emslie is kept in the print collection of the Guildhall Library. **
[Early Trade token detail] At THE 3 Tunn Tavern—Three tuns;
Vintners' arms. Reverse : In St. Pauls Churchyard—In the field, E. C.
On the north side, at the west end of St. Paul's churchyard, is a house of stagecoach notoriety, bearing the ludicrous sign of the Goose and Gridiron, which has puzzled many a wiseacre for a definition. Situated in London-house yard, so named as being contiguous to the former residence of the bishop of London, the house, before the great fire, was known by the sign of the Mitre; and in 1664, Robert Hubert, alias Forges, " gent., and sworn servant to His Majesty," exhibited here a museum of natural rarities, as the catalogue describes them, " collected by him at great cost, and during thirty years travel in foreign countries; daily to be seen at the place called the musick-house at the Miter, near the west end of St. Paul's church." Concerts of music and musical parties were also among the diversions the house afforded, till the fire in September, 1666, destroyed all. On the rebuilding of the house the new tenant appears to have by-shop'd the mitre; and, in contempt of the dissolute harmonies that had hitherto been the attraction, he perverted the Swan and Lyre, the crest and charge on the arms of the company of Musicians, into the silly Goose and Gridiron, forgetting possibly the goose had once the honour of being the capitolian guard of ancient Rome,
The imprint on the title of " a Discourse of the national excellencies of England, by R. H.," affords some allusion to these buildings erected on the cathedral lands; "printed for Henry Fletcher, at the Three Gilt Cups, in the new buildings, near the west end of St. Paul's, 1658," duod.
A listing of historical London public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in St Gregory by St Pauls parish, City of London. The St Gregory by St Pauls, City of London Public House Trade Directory uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
The first picture is circa 1890 and shows the pub from St Paul's Churchyard. The second is the pub sign, just visible in the centre window of the first floor, which is at the Museum of London. The pubs name was probably The Swan & Lyre which became The Goose and Gridiron. A masonic lodge met there for many years and on the 24th of June; 1717 the first Quarterly Communication of the Grand Lodge of England was held at the pub.
Goose & Gridiron, 8 London House Yard, St Gregory by St Pauls, City of London - circa 1890
Kindly provided by Vincent O'Loughlin
Goose & Gridiron Pub sign, 8 London House Yard, St Gregory by St Pauls - in the museum of London
Kindly provided by Vincent O'Loughlin
The following entries are in this format:
Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.
1742/Roger Ellis / Publican /../../Proceedings of the Old Bailey **
1766/Mr Walker / Public House Keeper /../../Proceedings of the Old Bailey **
1766/Edward Brophy / Head Waiter /../../Proceedings of the Old Bailey **
1767/James Walker/../../../Proceedings of the Old Bailey **
1803/Joseph Howes / Victualler /../../Sun Fire Office records, held at Guildhall Library **
1808/William Smith / Victualler /../../Sun Fire Office records, held at Guildhall Library **
1817/Francis Ellen / Public House Keeper /../../Proceedings of the Old Bailey **
April 1827/Mrs Charott/../../../LV Asylum ****
1839/John Reeve/../../../Pigots Directory ****
1841/John Mathews/../../../P.O. Directory **
July 1849/John Matthews/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era Newspaper ****
July 1849/William Making/Incoming Licensee/../../Era Newspaper ****
1851/William Making/../../../Kellys Directory ****
1856/William Making/../../../Post Office Directory ****
1869/Wm Making/../../../Post Office Directory ****
1871/William Making/Publican/50/Lavenham, Suffolk/Census ****
1871/Sophia Making/Wife/50/Lavenham, Suffolk/Census
1871/William H Making/Son, Accountants Clerk/16/Castle Baynard, London/Census
1871/Clara E Making/Daughter/19/Castle Baynard, London/Census
1871/Edith A Making/Daughter/8/Castle Baynard, London/Census
1871/James Davis/Boarder, Commercial Traveller, Widow/46/Pontypool,Wales/Census
1871/John Hayes/Boarder, Silversmith/22/Birmingham/Census
1871/Joseph Tarrey/Boarder, Omnibus Driver/55/Hounslow/Census
1871/Edwin Front/Waiter/30/Barton, Bedfordshire/Census
1871/Jane Rubidy/Barmaid/19/Oak Brook, Shepherds Burt/Census
1874/W Making/../../../H D Miles’ London & Suburban Licensed Victuallers’ Directory **
1881/William Making/Licensed Victualler, Widow/63/Lewisham, Suffolk/Census
1881/William H Making/Son, Licensed Victualler/26/London, Middlesex/Census
1881/Isabella Making/Sons Wife, Licensed Victualler/26/Bucks Wendover/Census
1881/Edith A Making/Daughter, Lady/18/City London, Middlesex/Census
1881/Maude J Making/Sons Daughter/1/City London, Middlesex/Census
1881/Ellen Betwick/Servant, Widow/42/London, Middlesex/Census
1881/E R Thomas/Commercial Traveler/28/Remscheid (B S), Germany/Census
1882/Wm Making/../../../Post Office Directory ****
1884/Wm Making/../../../Post Office Directory ****
1889/William Makin / Public House Keeper /../../Proceedings of the Old Bailey **
1889/Annie Keith / Barmaid /../../Proceedings of the Old Bailey
1891/William Henry Making/../../../Post Office Directory ****
1891/William Henry Making/Licensed Victualler/30/City, London/Census ****
1891/Eliza Mary Mead/Manageress/29/61 New Church Street, Bermondsey/Census
1891/Anne Maria Keiber/Barmaid/24/Military Road, Colchester/Census
1891/Florence Alice Parsons/Servant/18/Alma Terrace, Buxton/Census
1891/Ellen Catherine Coleman/Servant/14/Brushfield Street, Bishopsgate/Census
1891/George Back/Servant/22/Chase Square, Stratford/Census
1891/E C Watts/Boarder, Clerk/19/41 Park Road, Tottenham/Census
1891/F Dibble/Boarder, Clerk/22/Wandsworth/Census
** Provided By Stephen Harris
*** Provided By Vincent O'Loughlin
**** Provided By Kevan
What I am now attempting to achieve is the coverage of an earlier London
street directory in 1832. This is unique, plus
images of the 1842 Robsons directory which confirm earlier entries and also
carry much more trade detail about a premises or person. Here is the index of streets in 1832, many with
1842 imagery added.
And next is the complete 1840 London street directory - this will take some months to complete, so bear with me!
London pub history directory.
London Street Listings in 1832.
London street listings in 1842
London Street Listings in 1818 - mainly A and B.
London public houses in 1833 Pigots.
Entire London Street Listing in 1843 - by surname.
London public houses in 1856.
London public houses in 1869.
London public houses in 1899
London 1921 Street directory in 1921
London 1940 Street directory 1940
London Pubs in 2018