Westminster St James index
British History Online : "This way was called Knaves' Acre or Pulteney
Street, and was subsequently known as Little Pulteney Street to distinguish it from Great Pulteney Street."
The address is also listed as 6 1/2 Great Crown Court in the 1848 directory, and many of the earlier directories. *
Historical London public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels.
Residents at this address.
In 1725, one of the earliest Masonic Lodges and with a seniority of number 2, was at the Queens Head, Knaves Acre. The BHO places this in the vicinity of Little Pulteney street, as this is one hundred years later.
By 1732, the Queens Head, Knaves Acre is now number 11 in seniority of the Grand Lodges.
The 1739 list of Masonic Lodges places the Queens Head, Knaves Acre still at number 11 in seniority. It also lists its earliest date of being a Lodge as of the 27th Feb 1722-23.
John Lockie in 1810 directory describes as "Crown Court, Little Pultney Street, Princes Street, Soho, at 30 and 38, leading to Queens head court, and 23, Great Windmill by Hay market."
Royal Grove Lodge Freemasons membership initiated October 24 1822, Colvin Lamb, Victualler, Queens Head, Crown street, 1822 to 1825
1832/William Mathison, Queens Head, Great Crown court, Soho/../../Robsons Directory
1841/James Burn/../../../Post Office Directory *
1842/James Burn, Queens Head, Great Crown court, Soho/../../Robsons Directory
1848/James Burn/../../../Post Office Directory *
1851/James Burn/../../../Post Office Directory *
1856/James Shaw/../../../Post Office Directory *
1869/William Shaw/../../../Post Office Directory *
* Provided By Ewan