Accurate transcriptions of the 1921 census are being added to the pub history site, starting with London.

History of North Ockendon in 1863 Whites Directory

North Ockendon 1863 Whites Directory

OCKENDON, (NORTH) a scattered village and parish, from 6 to 7 miles E.S.E. of Romford, has several neat houses, and. contains 341 inhabitants, and 1703 acres of land. In old records it is called Okendon, Wokendon, and Lockington, and it was held by Earl Harold, before the Conquest. Richard Benyon, Esq., is lord of the manor, and owner of all the parish, except the glebe and two farms. STUBBERS, a fine old brick mansion, in a small park, about a mile west of the church, is the seat of C. B. Russell, Esq. The Church (St. Mary Magdalen) is an ancient structure, profusely mantled with ivy, and having a tower of flint and stone, containing five bells. It has a nave, north aisle, chancel, and north chapel, and contains several fine monuments of the Coys and Poyntz families, on one of which are recumbent effigies of General Poyntz and his lady. The fabric was restored in 1858, at the cost of 1500, and decorated with several stained glass windows. The rectory, valued in K.B. at 16.13s. 4d., and in 1831 at 557, is in the patronage of Richd. Benyon, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Geo. Fielding, M.A., who has a good residence and 34A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1840, for 497 per annum. Here is a National School, built in 1842. In 1704, Sir Wm Russell left a yearly rent-charge to this parish, out of a house in Water lane, London, (now belonging to J. Laing, Esq.), to be applied as follows:- 20s. to the minister, for a sermon on St. Simon and Jude's day; 5s. for the clerk; and 35s. for the poor parishioners. The latter have also the dividends of 500 Three per Cent. Consols, left by Daniel Russell, in 1788; and the rent of a farm of 40A, at Horndon-on-the-Hill, called Steeden Hills, and now let for 35 a year. This farm is said to have been purchased with 200, left by Richard Poyntz, in 1643, and.24. 4s. 4d. given by the parish,

NORTH OCKENDON. Cole William, parish clerk

Post Office at Jane Ansell's. Letters via Romford.

Ansell Miss Jane, grocer, draper, etc
Baines James, baker and shopkeeper
Burchell William, blacksmith
Cole William, parish clerk
Elliott John, gardener
Fielding Rev. Geo. M.A. Rectory
Rayment Mrs A. schoolmistress
Russell Champion Branfill Esq, Stubbers Park
Snow John, vict. White Horse Inn
West Samuel, grocer and draper
Eve William
Freeman Mrs Mary
Shelley Samuel
Waters John
Snowden Martha, Hall Farm
Woollings Thomas
Woollings Henry

And Last updated on: Sunday, 22-Nov-2020 14:13:56 GMT