Pub history and London

Goring, Oxfordshire  1863 Dutton, Allen & Co directory

Goring pub history index

Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Oxfordshire. The Oxfordshire listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.

The following entries are in this format:

Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.

GORING with Gatehampton & Goring Heath.
Goring is a picturesque village and extensive parish, situate on the banks of the Thames, in the hundred of Langtree, 7 miles from Wallingford, 10 from Reading, 18 from Oxford, and 44 1/2 by the Great Western Railway, who have a station here, from London. There was formerly a nunnery of the Augustinian order in this parish, and there are many indications, such as the discovery of massive foundations of ancient structures, Soman coins, pottery, and barrows, to claim for this place an origin of very remote antiquity. A Roman road, called the Ikenield, is still used. The church, dedicated to St. Thomas A'Beckett, is a fine Norman structure, built in the reign of Henry II.; it has chancel, nave, north aisle, porch, and embattled tower. The living is a perpetual curacy, value 150, in the gift of Samuel Gardiner, Esq., of Combe lodge; the Rev. William Henry Stokes, M.A., is the incumbent. There are almshouses for four old men, founded and endowed by Richard Lybbe, Esq., of Hardwick, in the year 1714. The members of the Huntingdon persuasion have a chapel here. There is also a British and a National school. The population in 1861 was 993.
Gatehampton, in this parish, is supposed to have been a place of some importance about the 12th century; it is situate on the banks of the Thames, 1 mile from the Great Western Railway Station at Goring.

Gentry.
Gundry Mr George
Harenc Mrs Emily
Pingree Rev. Richard
Stokes Rev. William Henry, M.A., Parsonage
Webb Mr John

Traders.
Akers John, farmer
Berry Charles, farmer, Beech farm
Bond William, butcher
Boraston Thomas, shoemaker
Bailer John, shopkeeper and postmaster
Cash James, shopkeeper
Critchfield William, Wheel, and blacksmith
Dafters Joseph, beer retailer, harness and rope maker
Dew James, farmer, Cleve mill
Dodd James, miller
Ford John, carpenter and builder
Green Henry, Miller of Mansfield
Higgs William, carpenter and wheelwright
Lewis William, Spring House Inn
Pittman John, jun., farmer, Spring farm
Pittman Wm. Chas., brewer, maltster, & farmer
Reeves James, baker
Roberts Mrs, mistress of British school
Shingleton Richard, Queen's Arms
Stevens William Samuel, farmer, Gatehampton
Strange John Clarke, sen., miller
Swain John, boot and shoemaker
Tyer George, station master at Great Western Railway station
Weedons G. and F., artificial manure manufacturers and farmers
Young Susannah (Miss), mistress of National school

Post Office. - Mr. John Butler, postmaster. Letters from Reading arrive at 8-15 a.m.; dispatched at 5-15 p.m.
Public Schools : - British, Mrs Roberts, mistress.
National, Miss Susannah Young, mistress
Great Western Railway, George Tyer, station master

Goring Heath, with the hamlets of Collins End and Path Hill, is a very extensive village in the parish of Goring, 4 miles distant from the Goring station on the Great Western Railway, 6 from Reading, and 41 from London. Almshouses for 12 poor men were founded by Henry Allnutt, Esq., of the Middle Temple, and endowed by him in the year 1724; the range of buildings comprise 12 dwellings, chaplain's house, chapel, and kitchen in which the nurse resides. Each occupant has a garden and receives 7s. per week, clothing, a load of wood annually, and medical attendance. He also endowed a school for 47 boys, who are educated and clothed and at the age of 14 are apprenticed with a premium of 20. The value of the property bequeathed became so enhanced in value, that the trustees were enabled in the year 1833 to add a school for 26 girls. Another important bequest of this benevolent individual, was 100 a year for the discharge of poor debtors confined in the Marshalsea, whose debts do not exceed 4 each. The Rev. Richard Powys, M.A.. is chaplain to the institution.
Collins End consists only of a few cottages and a public houses, where Charles I., then remaining at Caversham Lodge, is said to have amused himself by playing at bowls. Path Hill is a small hamlet to Caversham.

Gentry.
Foster Mr. John
Powys Rev Richard M.A.
Sarney Mr Francis, Villa cottage

Traders.
Alldridge Henry, farmer, Copyhold farm
Coventry Charlotte, mistress of charity school
Coventry William, master of charity school
Foster Frederick, farmer
Foster James, farmer
Frewin Thomas, beer retailer
Gutteridge A. (Mrs.) Charles First, Collins end
Hewitt John, farmer
Illbury Sarah (Mrs) beer retailer
Kew John, castrator
Parrott John, farmer, College wood
Pearman James, farmer, New house farm
Pigden Thomas, blacksmith, College wood
Wallis Henry, shoemaker
Whitehorn William, farmer
Whitfield James, farmer and corn dealer
Whitfield John, grocer, baker, and postmaster

Post Office. - John Whitfield, postmaster, Goring heath. Letters arrive from Pangbourne at 8-30 a.m.; despatched, 5-30 p.m.
Charity School. - William Coventry, master: Charlotte Coventry, mistress.


**** Provided By Kevan

And Last updated on: Wednesday, 29-Mar-2017 23:06:16 BST