Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Oxfordshire. The Oxfordshire listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
The following entries are in this format:
Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.
Holton 1863 Dutton, Allen & Co Directory listing
HOLTON is a village in the parish of its name, in Bullington hundred, and
union of Headington; distant from Oxford 6 miles E. The church is a plain
edifice, dedicated to St. Bartholomew. The living is a rectory in the
presentation of the Misses Biscoe, and deanery of Cuddesdon, value £400;
present incumbent, the Rev. Henry Annesley Tyndale, M.A. A new and handsome
school was erected here in 1861, at the sole expense of the Misses Biscoe of
Holton Park, who are ladies of the manor. The school is partly supported by
proceeds arising from eight acres of land, purchased with £200, an endowment
left in 1665 by Dr. Edward Rogers, then rector. Population, 244.
Biscoe Misses, Holton Park
Tyndale Rev Henry Annesley, MD, rector
Tyndale Wm Earle, esq, Holton cottage
Battle John, farmer, Church farm
Chapman Joseph, farmer
Cox Edward, baker
Mobbs Edward, farmer
Parrott Sarah (Miss) farmer
Robins James, farmer & miller
Washington E (Mrs), shopkeeper
Letters through Wheatley