Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name
Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Oxfordshire. The Oxfordshire listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
The following entries are in this format:
Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.
Horley 1863 Dutton, Allen & Co Directory listing
HORLEY is a village and parish, 3 1/2 miles N.W. from Banbury, in the union
of the same and hundred of Bloxham, situate on the Warwickshire border of
the county. The church, dedicated to Si. Ethelreda, is a structure in the
decorative style of the 14th century. The living includes that of Hornton,
and is a vicarage in the Deanery of Deddington and patronage of the Lord
Chancellor, value £400 per annum. The present incumbent is the Rev. Wm.
James Pinwell. The Wesleyans have a place of Worship here; there is also a
school on the National system. la 1861 the population was 337; acreage 1114.
Hitchcock John, esq.
Pinwell Rev. William James (incumbent)
Archer Caleb, shoemaker
Bayliss Thomas, fruiterer
Bonner John, relieving officer and registrar
Clarke William, carpenter
Coleman William, New Inn
Cook William Henry, miller and baker
Ball William, farmer
Hazlewood Joseph, Red Lion, and butcher
Hitchcock John, farmer
Hunt John, mason
Jelfs Richard, carrier and grocer
Lucas George, schoolmaster and parish clerk
Lucas John, mason
Stamp John, shoemaker
Walden Edward, carrier
Letters through Banbury.
National School. George Lucas, master.
Carrier To Banbury. Edward Walden, mon, thurs., and sat.
**** Provided By Kevan