Oxford pub history index
An inn is thought first to have been established on this site in 1391, becoming the Angel by 1510. Closure came in 1865 and most of this inn was demolished in 1875, but two sections remain and are now in retail use. **
Angel Hotel, 79-84 High Street, Oxford - in November 2011
Kindly provided by Stephen Harris
Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Oxfordshire. The Oxfordshire listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
The following entries are in this format:
Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.
1794/William Bulby / Innkeeper /../../Universal Directory of Britain 1794-95
1835/W Griffith/../../../Vincentís Directory **
1839/S Y Griffith/../../../Robsonís Commercial Directory **
1846/Samuel Young Griffith/../../../Huntís Directory **
1853/Samuel Young Griffith / Innkeeper /../../Lease Documents held at Oxfordshire Record Office **
1854/Samuel Young Griffith/../../../Post Office Directory **
1863/S Y Griffith/../../../Dutton, Allen & Co Directory ****
** Provided By Stephen Harris
**** Provided By Kevan