Oxford pub history index
Rebuilt in 1892 to the designs of H. G. Drinkwater, this was known as the Oxford Ale House in the 1980s prior to being renamed as the Castle Tavern in the 1990s after the nearby Oxford castle. Acquired by Hook Norton in 2016 with the name abbreviated to that of the Castle. *
Paradise House, 24 Paradise Street, Oxford - in December 2017
Kindly provided by Tris
Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Oxfordshire. The Oxfordshire listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
The following entries are in this format:
Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.
James Edward Flexney is here in 1891 when listed as Paradise House, although
his trade is Cordwainer and 1901, the address appears to be 23 Paradise street
when he is a Boot maker.
1903/James Edward Flexney/Beer Retailer, 24 Paradise street, St Ebbes/../../Kellys Directory ****
1904/James Edward Flexney of Paradise house, 24 Paradise street Oxford beerhouse keeper died 17 July 1904 Probate Oxford 25 July to Anne Flexney widow. Effects £161 3s/Probate
1911/Ann Flexney/Beer House Keeper, Widow/63/../Census
1911/Olive May Bryant/General Servant/16/Eynsham, Oxfordshire/Census
1911/William Beckingham/Lodger, Baker/54/Oxford, Oxfordshire/Census
* Provided By Tris
**** Provided By Kevan