UK Pub History and London

Search UK pub history, and London.

Public Houses, Hotels and Taverns in Milverton, Somerset

Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Somerset. The Somerset listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.

The detail listed here was provided by Maggie Dinning of the Milverton Local History Group & here is Milverton described in 1883 and all the parish records

Milverton now (in 2018) has only one public house, the Globe, the White Hart closed in 2007, and there were four listed in the 1911 census. This listing comes from :

Milverton pubs to 1939. Using List made using Rev .Maynard's book and Howard Davis,s Archives and Somerset Heritage. Originally Compiled. By Ernest Swannick Esquire of the Fort born 1852 in Cheshire a retired Cotton Merchant And Rev Maynard 1939

1 The Bear. Butts way. Owned by the Church . Not found ?.
2 Kings Head ( Lion). Sand street ## Now Blackdown House
3 The Swanne 17thC Sand street
4 The London Inn. 19thC Sand street
5 The George Hotel. Mentioned as a dwelling house. In 1650 Deeds John Ashford ##
6 The Red Lion St Michaels Hill. ##
7 The Bell. Bell corner. ##
8 Kings Arms Wood now Alster house Thomas King Blacksmith 19 th C
9 The New Inn North street ## possibly the Cottage next to St Mildrids.
10 Ford Bridge Inn
11 The Rock Inn Silver street now Rocklyn 19th but 17th C Building
12 The Dolphin opposite the Rock Turnpike
13 The Pint and Glass. Hounds moor. Later the Houndsmoor Club
14 Ropers Arms. ( Houndsmoor Inn) near the site of the VR post box Houndsmoor.
15 The Globe, Silver street -  still operating
16 The Angel North street, Possibly Oliver's. Hancock clock maker
17 The White Hart, Fore street an Inn. ##
18 The Lamb Sand street, the cottage now demolished entrance to Wood Barton.
19 Combers Arms Next to Church North street plot 132 on the 1842 Tithe map
20 Old Red Lyon in burgage near plot 279 on 1842 Tithe Map ##
21 Glove /Roebuck /Admiral Vernon ##now Mansell house In 1607 a Smith's shop.
22 Anchor. ## Engletts street near the Manor pound High street
23 The Star possibly near Olands 15-17th C

## original Ale houses and Inns from 1776 as named


And Last updated on: Friday, 07-Sep-2018 13:57:48 BST