• Home
  • London Pub History
  • UK Pub history research and London historical street directory

    Search the historical London street directory, pub history site and World War One records of gallantry and casualties by surname, street or pub name; including early street addresses in London through the Victorian pub history of London. This site justs get more interesting.

    Bell, South street, Wincanton, Somerset

    Wincanton pub history index

    Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Somerset. The Somerset listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.


    The following entries are in this format:

    Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.

    In South Street, where Stuckey's bank stands.   - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

    1608. Left by will of Thomas Ewens, of Kingston, Yeovil, in trust for the poor of Wincanton.   - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

    1693. Conveyed by Robert Freke to Richard Churchey and others.   - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

    1699. Granted by Philip Bennett and others for lives to Thomas Beacon.   - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

    1721. In possession of Mr. Wm. Plucknett, who held it for lives.   - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

    1752. Mr. Henry Plucknett, jeweller, took a 99 years' lease of it, depending on the lives of his wife and Dr. Roseamzer for 30 in hand and 10/- per annum.   - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

    1774. Mr. Hindley was the holder of the lease. Land Tax Return.   - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

    1823. Richard Ring is mentioned as having held it on the life of Mrs. Hindley, but who had recently died. About this date a new house was erected by a Mr. Barrett, to whom it was granted for three lives. The house cost Mr. Barrett 5oo to build, and he paid a ground rent of 2 per annum.
    Stuckey's Banking Company purchased the interest of the lessees, and a few years since bought the freehold, when they greatly enlarged the house.   - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

    **** Provided By Kevan

  • Home
  • Pub Research
  • Early Southwark pubs history
  • WW1 Research
  • 1918 Armistice
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • Accessible Rail Transport
  • Grand Junction Canal Pub History
  • Cosford database Suffolk
  • Pub history on the River Thames
  • Maps of the UK
  • Anatomy Act 1832
  • London & Home counties :
  • London Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Essex pub history
  • Hertfordshire Pub History
  • Kent Pub History
  • Middlesex Pub History
  • Sussex Pub History
  • Surrey Pub History
  • Croydon Pub History
  • Berkshire Pub History
  • Buckinghamshire Pub History
  • East Anglia:
  • Bedfordshire Pub History
  • Cambridgeshire Pub History
  • Huntingdonshire Pub History
  • Lincolnshire Pub History
  • Rutland Pub History
  • Suffolk Pub History
  • Northamptonshire Pub History
  • South & South West :
  • Cornwall Pub History
  • Devon Pub History
  • Dorset Pub History
  • Gloucestershire Pub History
  • Hampshire Pub History
  • Isle of Wight Pub History
  • Oxfordshire Pub History
  • Somerset Pub History
  • Wiltshire Pub History
  • North & Midlands :
  • Cumberland Pub History
  • Derbyshire Pub History
  • Durham Pub History
  • Lancashire Pub History
  • Leicestershire Pub History
  • Northumberland Pub History
  • Nottinghhamshire Pub History
  • Shropshire Pub History
  • Staffordshire Pub History
  • Warwickshire Pub History
  • Yorkshire Pub History

  • And Last updated on: Wednesday, 29-Mar-2017 23:47:14 BST