Search the historical London street directory, pub history site and World War One records of gallantry and casualties by surname, street or pub name; including early street addresses in London through the Victorian pub history of London. This site justs get more interesting.
Wincanton pub history index
Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Somerset. The Somerset listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
The following entries are in this format:
Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.
Although this has not been used as a public-house for many years, it was
formerly one of the most flourishing in the town. If it does not date back
as far as the White Horse, (which it probably does,) it had existed long
enough by 1662 to have changed its name. It can be clearly traced back to
the date mentioned as " The Crown," and some time previous to that date as "
The King's Arms." It was a place of some importance, in as much as it
covered a considerable portion of ground, including the whole of Mr. Shewen's present premises, from the High Street back to the end of the
garden ; Mr. Blake's, if not Mr. Knight's house ; and Mr. Eden's stores, in
the White Horse Lane. There were several stables in connection with it,
known as " The long stable," " The shelf stable," and "The hackney stable."
In 1662, the occupier was " Gartrude Baunton." The surname is that of the
owners of Roundhill, who succeeded the Dyers, to whom they were related. It
is probable that this Gartrude was the widow of Henry Bayntun, who died in
1641 ; several of that surname are mentioned in the parish register as
"gent." Her name does not appear in the parish register, unless she married
again, in which case the entry would be made under her new name.
In 1678, it was occupied by Peter Stone, who at that time had several licensed houses, as this list shows. Here he died in 1695. One wife died before him, but he appears to have married another, who outlived him. Peter does not appear to have been the owner, the property apparently having passed in 1662 to John Vining, the owner of the White Horse, who at that time divided the buildings, granting the upper part to Walter Henderson, shoemaker, for 99 years.
In 1707, the lower and larger premises, namely, "The Crown," were owned by Samuel Cross, but they were in that year transferred to Thomas Gapper, of Suddon. Margaret Way was the tenant. For a long period I find no trace of the owners or occupiers, nor any inkling as to when it ceased to be a licensed house.
In 1736, Samuel Cross was carrying on the trade of a turner on the premises. In 1745, his son John had succeeded him. It appears as if the last named Cross was followed by a Mr. Harry Cooper, upholsterer, who was an elderly man.
On the first Sunday in August, 1794, he had been to Redlynch in a one-horse shay" and was returning, when he was thrown out, one of his legs broken, and he was otherwise injured. He died soon after, leaving his widow in the business, which she carried on ''With an assistant until she can get a
purchaser." In the following year. Angel Cooper, the widow, disposed of her business to a Mr. Robert Dowding. In the census of 1801, Robert Dowding is described as a joiner.
In 1811, Harry Cooper, auctioneer, was living in the house. He was Secretary of the French Masonic Lodge, "Le paix desiree." Mrs. Cooper appears to have been in business in the house in 1830. She must have been followed shortly after by Mr. George Crocker, who removed to Yeovil about 1840, when Mr. Thomas Richards entered and remained till his death in February, 1889. In the next month the business was divided ; Mr. J. W. Eden purchasing the grocery, which had been for a few years carried on in the
house below, and Messrs. Wm. and George Gilbert taking the ironmongery. They remained till February, 1895, when they dissolved partnership ; Mr. John Shewen then entered and is still in possession.
- Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.
**** Provided By Kevan