Search the historical London street directory, pub history site and World War One records of gallantry and casualties by surname, street or pub name; including early street addresses in London through the Victorian pub history of London. This site justs get more interesting.
Pigot's Essex 1832-3 Trade Directory - Stratford
STRATFORD is a populous hamlet and ward, in the parish of West Ham, and hundred of Becontree; about three miles from Whitechapel church, London. It is the first place you come to after leaving Middlesex, from which county is it divided by the river Lea, crossed by means of Bow-bridge; on this stream are situated extensive flour-mills, and many manufacturing establishments, print-works, distilleries, chemical works, &c., some of which are upon a very large scale. Stratford itself is greatly improving in appearance, which will be heightened when the projected new church (which will occupy an eligible site in the Broadway) is completed. In the parish of West Ham are several schools for gratuitous education; one of these, for the parish generally, has a revenue derived from benefactions, amounting to above £3,000; and another, founded by Mrs. Bonnell in 1761, is also well endowed. There are also some almshouses, and two chapels for dissenters. The land around here is very fertile, well wooded, and the scenery pleasing; great numbers of the inhabitants are employed in agriculture, which the vicinity of Stratford, to the metropolis renders a profitable pursuit. By the parliamentary returns for 1831, the hamlet of Stratford contained 6,686 inhabitants.