Many accurate 1921 census transcriptions have already been added to the pub history site, including London, and parts of Middlesex.
Assington in Kellys 1879 Directory.
Assington is a parish 4 miles north east from Bures station, 58 from London via Bures and 5 south east from Sudbury, in the Western division of the county, Babergh Hundred.
The church of St Edmund, adjacent to Assington Hall; was built by Cnut the Great on the field of the last battle fought by him. The register dates from the year 1558.
Marshalls Green is 1 mile south east; Assington Thicks is a large piece of woodland.
Post Office, Mrs Elizabeth Green
National school for boys, girls & infants, to hold 240, was erected in 1862 & has since been enlarges. Miss Sophia Woolnough, mistress; Miss Elizabeth Cobb, infants mistress
Brown Rev James Wilson Davy BA, Vicarage
Gurdon Philip, Assington Hall
Lambarde Francis JP, Assington Hall
Public Houses in Assington & Assington in 1865
Agricultural Association (Walter John Pollard, sec)
Agricultural Co-operative Society (Walter Harper, sec)
Bell James, carpenter
Butcher George, broom maker
Butcher Jane (Mrs), beer retailer - Case is Altered
Carter Daniel, shoe maker
Coe John, farmer
Crissell John & James, farmers
Dyer Henry, farmer, Darking tye
Dyer John jun, farmer, Avely Hall farm
Gentry William, shoe maker
Gifford George, farmer, Hill Farm
Godden Daniel, Shoulder of Mutton, & butcher
Green Chas, blacksmith & wheelwright
Green Elizabeth (Mrs), shopkeeper & post office
Griggs Jonathan, shoe maker
Hall Alfred, blacksmith, Marshalls Green
Hawkins Mary (Mrs), beer retailer
Industrial & Provident Society for Provisional Limited (Walter Wright, manager)
Marshall Henry, farmer, Dausies
Mudd Albert Cupper, farmer, Assington house
Mumford John, farmer
Plampin Edward, shoe maker
Pollard Walter John, miller
Spooner William, farmer, Pump Farm
Stow William, draper & grocer
Stripling George, blacksmith
Tomkins Henry, farmer, Rose Hill