I am the number 1 site for UK Pub history & a historical street directory of London

Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Bardwell, Blackbourn Hundred
Google maps of the Blackbourn Hundred show the following places:

View Larger Map

Bardwell public houses

BARDWELL in 1844, is a large well-built, pleasant and healthy village, on the east bank of the river Thet, 2 1/2 miles N. of Ixworth, and 8 miles N.E. of Bury St. Edmund's, and S.S.E. of Thetford, has in its parish 826 inhabitants, 3,142 acres of land, and the small hamlet of Bowbeck, 1 1/2 mile N. of the church. It gave name to the ancient family of Berdwell, who were seated here as early as the Norman Conquest. Sir William Berdwell, a celebrated soldier, whose effigy, in painted glass, still remains in the north-window of the church, died seised of the manor of Bardwell Hall, in 1434. It afterwards passed to the Reads, one of whom married the daughter and heiress of William Crofts. The parish is in three manors, of which the following are the names and lords:- Bardwell Hall, Sir H. C. Blake; Wicks Hall, the Earl of Albemarle; and Wyhen Hall, the Duke of Grafton; but part of the soil belongs to Thomas Hallifax, Esq., J. Jeffes, Esq., Messrs. R. Grimwood, J. Debenham, J. Cocksedge, P. Sharman, and a few smaller owners. The Church, (St. Peter) is a handsome structure, with a lofty tower containing six bells, and surmounted by a short spire. It has several elegant monuments of the Read and Crofts families, and two of its windows are decorated with stained glass. It was repaired at the cost of 200, in 1842; and in the following year, an organ, which cost 70, ivas given by the Rev. Henry Adams, B.D., who now enjoys the rectory, valued in K.B. at 7 17s. 1d., and in 1835 at 597. The patronage is in St. John's College, Oxford, and the tithes were commuted in 1839, for a yearly modus of 788. Here is a neat Baptist Chapel, built in 1824, and also a small Wesleyan Chapel.
The Town Estate is appropriated, under sundry ancient deeds, and a decree of the Court of Chancery made in 1639, to the service of the church and the good of the parish, "in such things as should be most needful.'' The estate is vested with 24 feoffees, and consists of the Guildhall, now in 12 tenements, occupied by the poor parishioners, rent free ; four cottages, let at small rents, and 66a. 1r. 2p. of land. The rents produce 142 16s. per annum, and are applied in repairing the church, the Guildhall,and the four cottages; in payment of the churchwarden's expenses, and the wages of the parish clerk and sexton, and an allowance of 25 a year for schooling poor children. The surplus is divided among the poor of the parish. The yearly sum of 5, paid by the Duke of Grafton, as interest of 100 derived from an exchange of part of the trust land in 1709, is applied with the rents of the town estate. In 1677, Thomas Meade left 50 for schooling poor children, and it was laid out with l0 given by Sir C. C. Reade, in the parchase of 44a. of land in Stanton, let for 6, which, with the annuity of 25 from the town estate, is paid to two schoolmistresses, for teaching about 70 children to read, and the girls to sew. Another Free-School, for 24 poor children, is supported by Mrs. Adams. In the 12th of Charles II, Robert Garrard left 20 for the relief of 10 poor widows, and it was laid out in the purchase of 2a. 3r. 16p. of land, now let for 5 a year, which is distributed at Christmas, with an annuity of 3s. 4d. left by John Green, in 1595, out of Guttrage's Acre, in Ixworth Thorpe. In 1822, John Jeffes charged his estate at Bardwell, with the yearly payment of 3, to provide a dinner on Christmas-day for 10 poor men and 10 poor women. On the enclosure of Bardwell-Heath, an Allotment of 25a. 26p. was awarded to the poor parishioners, in lieu of their right of cutting fuel; and also an allotment of 2a. 3r. 25p. on Bardwell Green. These allotments are now let for 59 1 Pa per annum, which is distributed in coals,&c.

BARDWELL
Adams Rev Hebry BB, Rectory
Booty John, gent, Bardwell Green
Browning John, blacksmith
Vlarke Mrs Margaret
Cocksedge John, bricklayer
Coe James, gamekeeper
Death James, butcher
Fuller William, victualler, Green Man
Noble Charles, victualler, Six Bells
Academies
Addison Susan
Browning Mary
Simpson Ann
Carpenters.
Benham Thomas (& wheelwright)
Fuller William
Beard Robert, Steam Mill
FARMERS (* are owners)
Addison George
Berd Robert
Bobby John, Place Farm
Cocksedge John
Collis Benjamin, Heath
* Debenham Jas, Littlemoor Hall
* Grimwood Robert
Jewers Francis, Bardwell Hall
Pelham Ambrose
Simpson John, Wyken Hall
Grocers & Drapers
Botwright Thomas
Pettit William
Shoemakers
Blishard Richard
Palfrey John
Plummer George
Sone Jonathan


Bardwell in Kellys 1879 Directory.
Bardwell is a large village and parish on the small river Thet, 6 miles north from Thurston station, 2 north from Ixworth, and 8 north east from Bury, in the Western division of the County, Blackbourn Hundred.
The church of SS Peter and Paul is a handsome flint building. The register dates from 1538.
Parish Clerk, Charles Noble
Post Office, George Cunningham
Endowed School built in 1854; Oliver Spalding Simkin, master; Mrs Simkin, mistress
Carriers to Bury St Edmund, Henry Addison & George Holden
Carrier to Thetford, George Holden

Cooper MrsDunlap Rev Arthur Phillip BD [rector]
Glasgow Rev William [Baptist]
Goldsmith Edward John, Bardwell Hall
Jewers Miss
Robins Mrs

Commercial
Addison Charles, farmer
Addison George, farmer
Addison Henry, carrier
Allen henry, farm bailiff to the exors of G K Cooper esq
Blizard Richard, shoe maker
Browning Geoge, blacksmith
Cawley John, builder & contractor
Claxton Charles, farmer
Cooke Henry, farmer & miller
Crosby Henry, grocer
Cunningham George, farmer, stationer & postmaster
Death Samuel, farmer
Fuller William, carpenter
Gaught George, Six Bells
Goldsmith Edward John, farmer, Bardwell hall
Harrison Charles, miller & farmer
Holden George, hurdle maker & carrier
Markham Henry, beer retailer
Mayhew William, Green Man
Mays Job, farmer
Middleditch Henry, grocer
Mothersole William, farmer
Palfrey James, shoe maker
Palfrey William, thatcher
Payne Richard, wheelwright
Peto James, farmer, Barningham park
Plummer David, butcher & shopkeeper
Plummer George, shoe maker
Plummer James, shopkeeper
Ruddock Samuel, shopkeeper
Soer Walter, shoe maker
Tipple David, grocer & shoe maker
Wainwright Thos, farmer, Wicken Hall
Whittaker Michael, blacksmith
Woodgate. farm bailiff to William R E Barker esq


And Last updated on: Wednesday, 29-Jun-2016 20:51:53 BST