Many accurate 1921 census transcriptions have already been added to the pub history site, including London, and parts of Middlesex.
BARNARDISTON in 1844, is a scattered village, about 5 miles N.W. of Clare,
and N.E. by E. of Haverhill, has in its parish 1130 acres of fertile land, and
217 inhabitants, including Monks-Risbridge, an Extra-parochial farm of 85 acres,
and 10 souls, 1 1/2 mile N. of the village, belonging to William Turner, Esq.,
and occupied by Mr. Simon Golding. Barnardiston gave name to a family whose
several branches had seats at Kedington, Brightwell, Wyverston, and other
places. They held the manor till the latter part of last century, but it is now
held by Mark Teverson, Esq. A large portion of the soil belongs to other
proprietors, some of whom are residents. Monks-Risbridge was given by Thomas de
Woodstock, Earl of Buckingham and Duke of Gloucester, (sixth son of Edward III.)
to Pleshy College, in Essex. The Church (All Saints) is a neat fabric, with a
tower and five bells. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £7. 10s. 5d., and in 1835
at £191, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Val. Ellis, for whom the
Rev. William Syer officiates. The poor parishioners have nearly an acre of land
let for 20s. a-year; and they ought to have a share of Vernon's Gift,. as
noticed with Great Wratting.
Jarvis James,victualler, Red Lion
Ling John, beerhouse & shopkeeper
Farmers. (* are Owners.)
*Ambrose Thomas. Barnardiston Hs
Chapman Jacob, Clare Charity farm
Golding Simon, Monks Risbridge
Pearl Edw, Hall
*Teverson Henry, Francis Farm
Barnardiston in Kellys 1879 Directory.
Barnardiston is a parish, about 5 miles north west by west from Clare and 3 north east by east from Haverhill, in the Western division of the County, Risbridge Hundred.
The church of All Saints has chancel, nave, porch and tower containg five bells. The register dates from 1576.
Monks Risbridge, was formerly extra-parochial, but a parish in Risbridge union, a mile and a half north of Barnardiston church; but there are neither houses or inhabitants.
Barnardiston School Board, clerks, Messrs Ellison, Burrows & Freeman, Haverhill. Board schools are now (1879) being built.
Wynter Rev Geo Ellis BA [rector]
Bailey Elijah, farmer
Clark Walter, beer retailer
Garrad Elizabeth (Mrs), farmer
Hammond James, Red Lion, & shopkeeper
Teverson Henry, farmer & landowner
Teverson Henry jun, farmer & landowner, Barnardiston Hall