I am the number 1 site for UK Pub history & a historical street directory of London

Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Suffolk Villages & Towns - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

Suffolk Villages Home Page | Ipswich Borough & Suffolk Hundreds |Suffolk Villages and Towns A - Z

Barnham, Blackbourn Hundred
Google maps of the Blackbourn Hundred show the following places:

View Larger Map

Barnham Public Houses

BARNHAM in 1844, is a pleasant village, 2 1/2 miles S. of Thetford, and 9 miles N. of Bury St. Edmund's, has in its parish 412 souls, and 5,184 acres of land, including a large portion of sandy heath, forming an open sheep walk. The Duke of Grafton is owner of the soil and lord of the manor, which was formerly in two parishes, and had two churches, but that dedicated to St. Martin, has been in ruins more than a century. The other Church, (St. Gregory) is a neat structure, with a tower and four bells. The consolidated rectories of St. Gregory and St. Martin, valued in K.B. at 7 11s. lOd. and 8 5s. 5d., are united with that of Euston, in the patronage of the Duke of Grafton, and incumbency of the Rev. J. D. Hustler, M.A. The tithes of Barnham have been commuted for about 400, and those of Euston for 296 12s. 6d. per annum. Between these parishes and Thetford, is a row of 10 or 11 tumuli, supposed to mark the scene of the sanguinary engagement between king Edmund and the Danes, in 870. The Duke of Grafton and the rector support a small school, for the education of poor children. The Poor's Land is held on leases for nearly a thousand years, granted in 1736, and now held, one rood by the rector for 10s., and 3a. by the Duke of Grafton for 2 per annum.
Baker John, corn miller
Banham Edward, parish clerk
Banham Mary, schoolmistress
Chadd Misses M. & M.
Cooper Mrs. E.
Davey Mr. William, Barnham Cottage
Davey Thomas, carpenter
Deeks Edw. victualler, Grafton Arms
Debenham Edmund, shoemaker
Edwards John, beer seller.
Grieve Rev. John, M. A. curate
Juler John, shopkeeper
Lusher Thomas, blacksmith
Wade John, gentleman
FARMERS.
Cooper William, Hill House
Edwards Frederick, West farm
Johnson William, North farm
Nunn John

Barnham in Kellys 1879 Directory.
Barnham is a parish and scattered village and station on the Bury and Thetford railway,
 Barnham Station circa 1910
Barnham Station circa 1910
provided by Footsteps

 2 miles south from Thetford, 9 north from Bury St Edmunds and 86 from London, in the Western division of the County, Blackbourn Hundred.
St Gregorys, Barnham
St Gregorys, Barnham
provided by Footsteps

The church of St Gregory which has been restored by the Duke of Grafton, is a small building. The register dates from 1684.
A little north of the village are the ruins of the church of St Martin, which has been dilapidated for at least a century, but the greater part of the square tower is still remaining. There is a windmill for corn.
Parish Clerk, Edmund Banham
Duke of Grafton's School, George Bell, master; Miss E Rowden, mistress
Railway Station, Robert Hoggar, station master
Plows Rev William MA [curate], Rectory
Bolingbroke John, shopkeeper
Debenham George, shoe maker
Edwards Alfred, farmer, West farm
Lusher Mary (Mrs), blacksmith
Minns David, shopkeeper
Newdick Thomas, farmer
Scott Alfred John, Grafton Arms
Spratt George, miller & farmer
Turner George, farmer


And Last updated on: Wednesday, 29-Jun-2016 20:56:42 BST